Cold steel trail hawk

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
Am thinking about getting a cold steel trail hawk a) beacuse i like tomahawks b) coz i need a smallish axe (its the same size as a gb small forrest) and c) iv seen the testing of it by cold steel.
just wanted peoples views and experiences of cold steel products mainly the axes / tomahawks

thanks
tp

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I am also interested ib getting one of these.
I've seen varied reviews of the Norse Hawk and the Frontier Hawk
I think there is a lot of scope for a tomahawk in bushcraft and I'm playing with a couple of E-bay chaepies but they've taken a lot of playing and are nowhere near finished yet (search for hawks on my blog)

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I own the Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawk.. some people here may remember my questions :rolleyes:

IMG_0661.jpg

She's sharp, durable, and I've kept her on my belt everytime I go in the bush. I know you want a light hawk, but the Rifleman isn't much heavier, and has one heckuva wollup! The Trail hawk is alot like a lighter version. Good for sticking into trees, but I don't know whether it has much power to it's chop or not. :confused:

All I'll say is this; You want a 'hawk... Cold Steel has 'hawks.. they have good 'hawks... they have inexpensive 'hawks... get a cold steel 'hawk ;)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I owned both a while back and although our Canadian friend is spot on with the usefullness of the Riflemans Hawk I did find it a bit too heavy for my liking and so gave it to a mate.

I have kept the trail hawk and do like it alot but again as said below you are very much lacking in chopping power and I can assure you it is next to useless for splitting due to the shape of the head and thinness of it....in the end I gave up trying to split 2" pine and used my leukku and baton.

I have to say; I'd say to go for an SFA type axe or even a trail hatchet in preferance unless you plan of doing some re-enacting.

Having said all that....both the Riflemans and even more so the trialhawk fly like a bird and so are very good for throwing (NOT at live trees I hesten to add).

Hope that helps mate,

Bam. :D

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Thanks for the links Drakeshoot, does anyone have anything more mid-ranged. I was thinking a proper working (sharp!) hawk for around $100

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE