Cold steel special forces shovel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Thanks for that Mowmow. I know what you mean about the Russian stuff and that appeals to me too. In fact I only just managed to hold off buying a veshmeshok on eBay the other day; maybe I should just have gone for it!
Out of interest, is there any particular model of gorka you'd go for?

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Recently got a SSO/Sposn gorka C I really like it. I've only worn it out on a couple of 2 night camping trips, nowhere near as much as i'd hoped as the weather's been too hot for it.

Compared to my Bars Gorka 3 the sso/sposn gorka materials/build quality is a lot nicer throughout the whole suit and it is generally just better designed.
Doing the hold up to the sunlight test to see how densely woven the fabric is, the sso gorka doesnt really let light through, whereas i can see and identify objects through the bars gorka, although its a lot older (although the bars gorka is years older, BUT it has never been washed).

Most noticeably though the pocket material is nicer, stronger. same goes for the tick trap in the legs and it has a foot stirrup as well as the leg ties for it too.

Drawstring waist and better quality elastic and button fastenings. Despite being a size or two smaller the bars gorka trousers dont stay up without the braces or a belt because the elastic to too soft and stretchy.

The cargo pockets on the sso trousers are smaller though and dont have that fold over flap you might be familiar with if you have british army clothing, that stops things falling out your pocket even when its fastened shut, the bars gorka has this feature and i was disappointed not to see it on the sso trousers.

The bars gorka suspenders/braces are a bit too stretchy but they are a lot shorter so your trousers sit higher, which i really like just dont put too much in your pockets, the SSO braces are a lot bigger and ONLY JUST fit me well enough (as neither are adjustable), they are miles better in terms of build quality, but if youre a smaller man youd be better with a belt as they may not hold your trousers up above your waist. they are nice to wear with lots of layers on your top half though. Easy to relieve yourself n ya can keep all ya layers nice n tucked in

The buttons on the jacket have a sort of double flap system so the button fastening is completely windproof which the bars gorka doesnt have, which is a weak point considering its meant to be a windproof suit.
Its one reason i also went for the sso anorak version instead of the jacket like the gorka 3.
More weather resistance, the DWR on both suits was good. It's long gone off the bars gorka but these are not designed to be rain suits.

For sizing
Following using the size chart i ordered a size 50 which is a 32"waist and i think a 40"chest. The suits are oversized and it would have swamped me, but this is a good thing for the anorak top as otherwise itd be a pain to take it on or off, the extra room makes it a lot easier.
The trousers were the right size but i was worried about the anorak being too big.
Fortunately through diet and exercise since lockdown i have put on about 1.5 stone and about 4 inches on the chest so the anorak actually fits as it should, now being the right chest size. Its baggy, as it should be, but it fits.

I prefer the pockets on the anorak jacket, huge poachers style pocket on the back, big hoody style tunnel pocket on the front and then a typical anorak chest pocket on the chest, good for things like gloves, or maps, or tools, etc. The gorka 3 style jacket has two reasonably sized smaller hand pockets on the front and two very small sleeve pockets, good for things like lighters. Not as practical, but Bars do also do an anorak version.

Over all I prefer the SSO/sposn suit. Simply for the quality and few extra features and the anorak design. Also the colour, both brands do various colour schemes, my sso/sposn suit is a nice two colour olive green and khaki, its lighter and overall friendlier looking and i think suits the changing colours of the UK through the seasons. The bars gorka is a dark brown and classic soviet Brown/greeny colour. Very autumn/wintery colour scheme.

But I still have a lot of love for my bars gorka, it's seen many adventures and for value for money ya cant go wrong. I think I got mine for 80 quid all in, including hat, braces, trousers, jacket and postage.
Its bomb proof, very weather resistant, comfortable, practical and its recieved many compliments from friends and strangers. I used to call it my russian tracksuit, or pyjamas because its so comfy lol.

BUT there is many other manufacturers, the main ones are:
Bars
Sso/sposn
Splav

Any of those and you can't go wrong.

I was a bit gutted, I burnt a small hole in my sso anorak the first time out blowing the embers back to life in my stove haha canvas burns just as readily as anything else. Fortunately using a strip cut off my Veshmeshok (someone cut a big hole in the front pocket so i cut it off) i have a very good material matched patch haha. I bought the suit to get used and abused but couldn't believe it on my first trip out, but i actually like it more now its slowly getting it's own character, it will tell its own stories in a few years time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Recently got a SSO/Sposn gorka C I really like it. I've only worn it out on a couple of 2 night camping trips, nowhere near as much as i'd hoped as the weather's been too hot for it.

Compared to my Bars Gorka 3 the sso/sposn gorka materials/build quality is a lot nicer throughout the whole suit and it is generally just better designed.
Doing the hold up to the sunlight test to see how densely woven the fabric is, the sso gorka doesnt really let light through, whereas i can see and identify objects through the bars gorka, although its a lot older (although the bars gorka is years older, BUT it has never been washed).

Most noticeably though the pocket material is nicer, stronger. same goes for the tick trap in the legs and it has a foot stirrup as well as the leg ties for it too.

Drawstring waist and better quality elastic and button fastenings. Despite being a size or two smaller the bars gorka trousers dont stay up without the braces or a belt because the elastic to too soft and stretchy.

The cargo pockets on the sso trousers are smaller though and dont have that fold over flap you might be familiar with if you have british army clothing, that stops things falling out your pocket even when its fastened shut, the bars gorka has this feature and i was disappointed not to see it on the sso trousers.

The bars gorka suspenders/braces are a bit too stretchy but they are a lot shorter so your trousers sit higher, which i really like just dont put too much in your pockets, the SSO braces are a lot bigger and ONLY JUST fit me well enough (as neither are adjustable), they are miles better in terms of build quality, but if youre a smaller man youd be better with a belt as they may not hold your trousers up above your waist. they are nice to wear with lots of layers on your top half though. Easy to relieve yourself n ya can keep all ya layers nice n tucked in

The buttons on the jacket have a sort of double flap system so the button fastening is completely windproof which the bars gorka doesnt have, which is a weak point considering its meant to be a windproof suit.
Its one reason i also went for the sso anorak version instead of the jacket like the gorka 3.
More weather resistance, the DWR on both suits was good. It's long gone off the bars gorka but these are not designed to be rain suits.

For sizing
Following using the size chart i ordered a size 50 which is a 32"waist and i think a 40"chest. The suits are oversized and it would have swamped me, but this is a good thing for the anorak top as otherwise itd be a pain to take it on or off, the extra room makes it a lot easier.
The trousers were the right size but i was worried about the anorak being too big.
Fortunately through diet and exercise since lockdown i have put on about 1.5 stone and about 4 inches on the chest so the anorak actually fits as it should, now being the right chest size. Its baggy, as it should be, but it fits.

I prefer the pockets on the anorak jacket, huge poachers style pocket on the back, big hoody style tunnel pocket on the front and then a typical anorak chest pocket on the chest, good for things like gloves, or maps, or tools, etc. The gorka 3 style jacket has two reasonably sized smaller hand pockets on the front and two very small sleeve pockets, good for things like lighters. Not as practical, but Bars do also do an anorak version.

Over all I prefer the SSO/sposn suit. Simply for the quality and few extra features and the anorak design. Also the colour, both brands do various colour schemes, my sso/sposn suit is a nice two colour olive green and khaki, its lighter and overall friendlier looking and i think suits the changing colours of the UK through the seasons. The bars gorka is a dark brown and classic soviet Brown/greeny colour. Very autumn/wintery colour scheme.

But I still have a lot of love for my bars gorka, it's seen many adventures and for value for money ya cant go wrong. I think I got mine for 80 quid all in, including hat, braces, trousers, jacket and postage.
Its bomb proof, very weather resistant, comfortable, practical and its recieved many compliments from friends and strangers. I used to call it my russian tracksuit, or pyjamas because its so comfy lol.

BUT there is many other manufacturers, the main ones are:
Bars
Sso/sposn
Splav

Any of those and you can't go wrong.

I was a bit gutted, I burnt a small hole in my sso anorak the first time out blowing the embers back to life in my stove haha canvas burns just as readily as anything else. Fortunately using a strip cut off my Veshmeshok (someone cut a big hole in the front pocket so i cut it off) i have a very good material matched patch haha. I bought the suit to get used and abused but couldn't believe it on my first trip out, but i actually like it more now its slowly getting it's own character, it will tell its own stories in a few years time.

That's a lot more answer than I could have expected, so very much obliged!
Right; I'm off to check out Russian kit.....!

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
That's a lot more answer than I could have expected, so very much obliged!
Right; I'm off to check out Russian kit.....!
Haha sorry most of it was waffling!
I've been meaning to do a side by side comparison and review but to make it fair and worthwhile the Sso Gorka needs a good year or two of usage doing various outdoor activity in various weather conditions and environments.

I would like to add that these Gorkas are great to wear in the snow. They shed snow and keep the wind off very nicely. The elasticated cuffs and leg on the legs keep the trousers up away from the floor and dont snag and stay up out of the wet.
The elastic cuffs and sleeve on the jacket are great as you can pull on some mitts or winter gloves right up and over them. All very snug and cosy, the elastic really helps trapping all the heat in, keeping your layers in place. Etc.

Both suits also have spacious hoods with really good adjustments to fit.
The hem drawcords are nice quality on both too.

They're quite cleverly designed tbh.
Not the sort of stuff you'd wear out to the pub or dinner or something though.

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE