Cold steel special forces shovel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a couple of sites on a regular basis - every so often the poo trench needs digging - 6'x1'x1' ish.
Too much for a little trowel!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Crikey, they still want £65 on ebay for that Chinese military shovel, the WJQ-308

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I guess you did proper outdoor latrines for your ‘second home’.

In the one I had back in UK I did one. Simple, just a nice smoothed log between two trees, a deep hole, spoil on the side to cover.

Beats an indoor loo hands down!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have a cold steel spetznas shovel in the van permanently. Great utility tool. I use it for cooking. Moving coals around when baking with Dutch ovens.

I throw it along with my knives. Easier or beginners to use than tomahawks.

I split wood with it for the Kelly kettle when I’m too lazy to get an axe or froe.

Occasionally I even dig with it.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Btw, does not the British Army have some kind of similar entrenching spade?
( this is the main use for these short spades, to dig a protective berm in front if you while under fire)

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I'm sure they do Janne! Though i think they use some kind of folding shovel.

Just an update for you all, I bought one sometime last year (spring?) and have used it quite a few times since, mostly for trips not far away from a car although I have lugged it on a few short (10-25 mile) walks or trips to campsites with full packs.

I can safely say that whilst not the lightest tool it comes in very handy and I feel is worth it's weight when mostly camping.

Digs stuff for toilets n firepits, drains, fishing bait, slinging ammo(stones).
Cuts poles and delimbs for shelters and makes nice tent pegs and hammers them in nicely.
Clears paths through light brush (think poor machete lol).
Will process firewood: will chop, will split, will scrape/"feather", but not ideal! Though you could get sparks from it too.
Useful for managing the fire; covering it, moving coals, collecting ash for various uses. Imagine would be good for use with a dutch oven.
I use it for collecting the white ash and charcoal for different jobs.
Is essentially a giant spoon/plate and while i'd never eat from it it's a good little dry flat-ish work surface, scrape up sap, stick your tinder on it, whatever.
Good little hammer.
Improvised pry.
Would be very handy for those who forage wild edibles (i'm slowly getting into it!)

Holds a decent edge but not if you throw it and miss the wood!
Sharpens very easily though.
The case it came with is very handy and pretty well made and a necessity i might add.
I like the size and weight, just about right for packing in and out of camp on shorter distance, longer stay trips and most camp chores.
Quality of construction and value for money is brilliant.

Has replaced my Skrama for a lot of trips as it will do a lot of the same jobs and is more versatile for about the same weight and don't mind abusing it as much. It's also less intimidating than a seax (Although it will never replace the Skrama, that's my favourite bush tool, i loved rambo as a kid, what can i say)

It is not ultra light but it is a shovel after all.
The handle will rub your hands raw and is very shiny and slippery at first but I pulled a bicycle innertube over it and it's solved most of that and probably made it a bit more shock absorbent and protects it a bit + always have emergency firelighter on hand.
Is definitely more of a break up and scrape tool rather than a proper digger but for anything more than what i said above youd probably bring along the right tool for the job anyway lol
Definitely beats a digging stick though.
Its no carver for finer stuff but knocking up a few camp implements like pot hangers n tent pegs n tripods n what not it's fine.

Could be handy for fishermen, useful for gathering bait or carving steps on steep slippery banks.
Have seen it used as a improv paddle.
Seen improvised handles for extended length or use as a hoe or mattock type device.
Handle could be removed and the head could be used to fashion one by itself in the field. (Seen folks who have used theirs a lot more than mine on the web do this sort of stuff, zachary fowler for one)

Overall i'm really surprised at how much i do like it as, while it doesnt do any particular job amazingly well. It does just seem to have a million and one uses and always find something different to use it for when it gets packed along.

It's a good little all round camp tool if ya not planning on building a log cabin or hiking for miles upon miles a day carving spoons everytime you set up camp.

It does also take a while to get used to how to use it properly if you do decide to use it for wood working.

It's a fun little gimmick (throwing/self defence shovel) but its also actually a good little tool.

Sorry for the lengthy read, i suppose a lot of that is just rambling on n stuff youd expect anyway but its done now lol.

I'll probably update you aĺl again after its had some more field time. Let you know how its all holding up, more of what i do like and what i dont like, etc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rootless Urbanite

Dec 9, 2019
Bristol
Just thought I'd add a reply to this post for recent purchasers.

I picked up a Cold Steel shovel and unlike the examples I'd seen it had a painted bevel, and rather than sharp it had an unfinished grinding burr, chipped in places the whole length. I didn't have to sign for it or send age verification to the retailer -- Springfields -- which makes me think it's being sold as unsharpened by UK retailers. It's gonna take some work to sharpen it to machete standard. I don't know if it's just this one retailer that has these unfinished ones or what's going on but was a bit disappointed. eBay might be better option to get the US version. That said, I got a decent handle [minus the varnish], and its a decent little shovel. I might just sharpen a single side and leave the rest unfinished.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just thought I'd add a reply to this post for recent purchasers.

I picked up a Cold Steel shovel and unlike the examples I'd seen it had a painted bevel, and rather than sharp it had an unfinished grinding burr, chipped in places the whole length. I didn't have to sign for it or send age verification to the retailer -- Springfields -- which makes me think it's being sold as unsharpened by UK retailers. It's gonna take some work to sharpen it to machete standard. I don't know if it's just this one retailer that has these unfinished ones or what's going on but was a bit disappointed. eBay might be better option to get the US version. That said, I got a decent handle [minus the varnish], and its a decent little shovel. I might just sharpen a single side and leave the rest unfinished.

I think it’s generally accepted that these are require a fair bit of fettling to get an edge. Personally I think that’s a good thing, the majority of people wanting a compact shovel want it to use as such, chuck it in the back of the car and not worry about slicing their car tyres while clearing mud or snow. I’ve got a German Army entrenching tool and though it has the heft for cutting, that’s not what I want it for. The US versions on the Cold Steel site seem to show a much more refined cutting tool than the ones from Springfields or Amazon.

Rootless Urbanite

Dec 9, 2019
Bristol
I think it’s generally accepted that these are require a fair bit of fettling to get an edge. Personally I think that’s a good thing, the majority of people wanting a compact shovel want it to use as such, chuck it in the back of the car and not worry about slicing their car tyres while clearing mud or snow. I’ve got a German Army entrenching tool and though it has the heft for cutting, that’s not what I want it for. The US versions on the Cold Steel site seem to show a much more refined cutting tool than the ones from Springfields or Amazon.
Yeah, I agree. I've an now putedge on one of the sides with a file, then corse stone & bit of finishing. Don't see why I'll need much else. It's just funny all the pics I've seen of these have unpainted bevels all around, described as sharp.

I have one and like it a lot.
Fills a niche between a trowel and a full on shovel.
It's a tool in the toolbox.
Times when it's ideal, and other times when I'll happily leave it at home.
Not an axe, but it does a pretty decent job of splitting wood.
8abCADE.jpg

zZQ3Y9v.jpg

yFWdfo3.jpg

Modified it by stripping off the paint and adding a forced patina, sanded the handle down by the collar, drilled a hole in the end of the handle and finished the handle with gun stock oil.
AFJKdbd.jpg

Reactions: Mowmow

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As often YT to the rescue, there several videos with S throwing shovels. Though on one where the thrower does a running back flip and throws a comment was that maybe 'plan Z' would be a good idea.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
After using it for some time I've got to say It's become one of my favourite camp tools. I tend to pack it with me most of the time, even on longer walks (5+ miles) as I always find a use for it and tend to miss it if I don't bring it along.
It generally sees more use as an improv hammer and for fire management more than anything else (moving coals for cooking, etc). For some ground its invaluable for making a site fire safe or clearing a camp site.
I occasionally use it for wood processing but its very clumsy and quite unsafe, my small fixed blade and folding saw are much better suited to wood related tasks.
It will dig cat holes or steps by riverbanks to fish from, etc. Rather well.

The only mods i have done for mine is sharpened up the two side edges, one more than the other. I also sanded off the replacement handle (old one broke from throwing it) and coated in pine tar, which i then set with a torch.
Lovely finish, non sticky, but better grip and no horrible varnish blisters and completely weatherproof.

The photos are old ones from last spring/summer time. Only having used it a few times, I just wanted to show the handle. The paint is very hard wearing, i left it on to protect the steel beneath and i find the steel very easy to care for, a quick whip over with a sharpening stone and a bit of oil.

Anyway its not an essential and its quite heavy so its not always ideal to pack along but i always wish i had it once ive set up camp so i find it worth its weight in gold. I find it compliments the saw and knife combo quite well.
5036d889b928caf8e1d94089e49e581f.jpg
5a3502fc5c3f35b5bc5e2969d8563571.jpg
c4b2cb09cafede06b1f7480cb0b0807c.jpg

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I'm now thinking about getting a shovel of this type. I know it doesn't really matter, but I get put off by stuff with 'special forces' branding. Has anyone has tried an ordinary, Russian army surplus shovel?

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I'm now thinking about getting a shovel of this type. I know it doesn't really matter, but I get put off by stuff with 'special forces' branding. Has anyone has tried an ordinary, Russian army surplus shovel?
From what i've read online they are exactly the same but the surplus ones have slightly thinner steel.
I'm also unsure if the handles are screwed or pinned into place.
You may get varying qualities from time of manufacture n stuff too.

I think you'd be happy with either one though, the design hasn't really changed since 1869. Roughly the same price too.
I think it's really cool that the veshmeshok and plash palatka also have been in use in the russian army from around the same time and they have literally only just started phasing them out properly.
Classic case of "if it aint broke don't fix it".

I love a lot of the russian army surplus, the veshmeshok, mpl 50, plash palatka (or foreign equivalents), mess kit and gorka suits are some personal favourites.
Its a shame the prices are increasing dramatically for most of the kit now as the old surplus will inevitably dry up. Which is a shame cos there's something about canvas and leather. Ya just cant abuse modern kit, try using your lightweight nylon poncho as a hammock or a ground sheet, or a camp cot, youd destroy it or atleast it wouldnt be very good for it haha.

Reactions: Dark Horse Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE