Cold frozen Loch trool.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
We had a cracking time, cant beat a camp fire and a bit of bow talk. Glad you managed to make it back to the cars through the ice - that would have been one nasty portage. The bow stave was my pleasure - hope it makes a shooter.

If you ever do a reunion tour this way give us a shout!

I am sure it will make a lovely bow mate thanks again. Would like to have stayed another day but could not risk the Loch freezing over again.

Brrr. Nice pics though, thanks for posting. :)

Thanks.

Looks like a beautiful place. Great pics looks like you had a good time. Perfect stag do in my opinion.

Cheers again for the UQ mate.

Amazing photos mate, thanks for sharing .

Although with those bows and canoes I cant help thinking about the film Deliverance :) ,But I hope nothing bad like that happened to you ;) honest !!!

There were rumours of the lads pulling some stag doo trickery, soon put to be when I reminded them i am armed pretty much 24/7 out there and would be happy to spare an arrow ;)

Cracking scenery, thanks for the pics and congratulations on the wedding plans.
#

Thanks.

looks like you had a good time thanks for sharing.

Lovely time thanks.

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
No problem mate, glad it worked for you. I hadn't really used it in cold weather it was fairly warm the once I tried it. Did you use a mat as well or just the UQ?

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hey DWARDO
Wazzup Bro.
First of all Congratulations
It looks like you had a magic time down there, it’s roughly around -6 at night around here but the wind chill is something else but perhaps that’s just the draft of the 21feet of snow on the Cairngorms. Nice to see a bow in that forest again, that’s a 4000 year old tradition your keeping up there, When you get some spare time check out the Rotten Bottom Yew Flatbow found in a peat bog from the Neolithic/Mesolithic transition found at Tweedsmuir, that could be a good project for you.
Anyhoo all the best and looking forward to seeing your next bow.

Last edited:

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No problem mate, glad it worked for you. I hadn't really used it in cold weather it was fairly warm the once I tried it. Did you use a mat as well or just the UQ?

I used a mat and a silk liner mate. I ended up with a bit of an air pocket under my back so felt the cold a little but considering the temperatures it held up fine. My sleeping bag is only rated a comfort 0. Pretty sure the temp was around -5 with a 20mph wind taking it down to -15 ish, either way brrrrr...

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I used a mat and a silk liner mate. I ended up with a bit of an air pocket under my back so felt the cold a little but considering the temperatures it held up fine. My sleeping bag is only rated a comfort 0. Pretty sure the temp was around -5 with a 20mph wind taking it down to -15 ish, either way brrrrr...

That's great glad I didn't send it to landfill!

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
Thanks for a brilliant weekend bro, for a mountain goat with shiny clothing I really enjoyed it, including the wash in the loch. Will send you my pictures to post up !

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for a brilliant weekend bro, for a mountain goat with shiny clothing I really enjoyed it, including the wash in the loch. Will send you my pictures to post up !

photo4_zps16ee93ea.jpg

photo5_zps3ac70c1d.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hey DWARDO
Wazzup Bro.
First of all Congratulations
It looks like you had a magic time down there, it’s roughly around -6 at night around here but the wind chill is something else but perhaps that’s just the draft of the 21feet of snow on the Cairngorms. Nice to see a bow in that forest again, that’s a 4000 year old tradition your keeping up there, When you get some spare time check out the Rotten Bottom Yew Flatbow found in a peat bog from the Neolithic/Mesolithic transition found at Tweedsmuir, that could be a good project for you.
Anyhoo all the best and looking forward to seeing your next bow.

Have looked at the RottenBottom bow and its on my list mate ;) Maybe a bit lighter draw weight though..

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What stovie have you got for the bell tent?

Its a Frontier Stove mate, with the Jack they sell for the flue.
Pretty sure it was from belltent.co.uk who are very helpful people. There is also a spark-arrester added to the top of the flue.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Looks like a great trip!

I was at Loch Trool at about the same time, arrived evening on Easter Sunday and stayed until Wednesday. (If you passed Bruce's Stone and saw some bivi-bagged legs sticking out the back of a pick-up truck -that was me!

The mountains looked fantastic there, all snowy and Alpine

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like a great trip!

I was at Loch Trool at about the same time, arrived evening on Easter Sunday and stayed until Wednesday. (If you passed Bruce's Stone and saw some bivi-bagged legs sticking out the back of a pick-up truck -that was me!

Would loved to have stayed Sunday night too but with the loch freezing we couldn't risk the long portage if the canoe was a no-go.
So just missed you but yes a lovely part of the world.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Looks like a great trip!

We were in the old caravan/camp site in the tipis.
And will be again this weekend, all welcome.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE