Cold feet.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
How do you keep your feet warm in your boots when you're out in the winter? I've always just worn two pairs of socks, but as I get older I'm noticing my feet are really starting to feel it :(. I've worn thermal socks before but always been a bit disappointed in them. I've spotted something called the 1000 Mile Sock. They look ok, but at £10+ for a pair I'd expect them to be the dogs danglies. Trouble is, the reviews I've seen online have been mixed.

So what do you guys recommend?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I wear issue Arctic socks...got mine from Endicotts.

Plus remember to later up and keep your core warm...if your core temp drops, your blood flow to the extremities gets reduced.

Simon

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Mate,
I guess it all depends on the individual, what you're doing what boots you're wearing and how they fit. If they are too tight it will restrict the circulation in your feet and make them cold, also, if the are well worn, the insoles may well be compressed, reducing their insulation properties.
There are plenty of warm boots out there, but also, there are some cheaper alternatives to try first. If you have plenty of space in your boots, try getting some winter insoles (i have some Alpaca ones that a friend makes for me and they are so toasty my partner, who spends all her free time on ice rinks swears by them).
secondly, if you find wearing 2 pairs of socks restricts your feet a little, try just one pair of very thick socks instead. if may allow the blood to move better.
What sort of temperatures are you generally out in?
Hope this helps a little. Lots of folk on here who thrive in the sub arctic conditions we never get here, so i'm sure you'll plenty of help.

Cheers
Baggins

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
What is it your doing when your out?

I find when I'm walking about etc my feet are fine! its when I am static they get cold, So i bought extra warm boots to help with that!

To many socks can do the reverse and make you feet cold if you dont leave enough room for air to circulate in your boot!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
There are many reasons for cold feet;

Bad circulation
Dampness of socks
Wearing cotton socks
Uninsulating insoles
Boots too tight for 2 pairs of thick socks.
Socks too tight(often happens when wearing 2 pairs of socks, the outer sock should be bigger than the inner).
Not eating and drinking regularly
Dehydration

The best socks and boots in the world will feel cold if blood supply to your feet is constricted.

To have warm feet when its cold and your not very active means that you need 'wiggle' room for your toes. If you have wiggle room, blood flow is not impeded.

Assuming the boots fit right and circulation isn't an issue, the next thing to use is a reflective insole. Waffle type insoles are even better but take up even more space in the boot. Using these types of underfoot insulation will make far more difference than the type of socks.

If your not walking far, the Heat Holder socks for a fiver take some beating for pure warmth for not a lot of money.

Last edited:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
My girlfriend has lumps of ice for feet!
The only thing that helps her, are a pair of army arctic socks and taking Rutin supplements to improve circulation to the feet = warm toasty feet :)

Sent from myPhone

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I find a liner sock followed by a merino wool sock works for me when im walking or doing jobs but once i stop moving i feel the chill. For sleeping i wear the 2.3tog socks with a pair of sealskinz over the top.

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Last edited:

Elen Sentier

North Ronaldsay wool - I knit my own. Superb wool for boot socks. I get a fleece (or 2), prep tthem, spin them and knit. Not only do they keep you warm but they're good even in hot weather too; I wore a pair for 2 days solid except for sleeping last Jul in the only hot hot days and my feet were fine. Additionally, natural wool doesn't stink either :).

Shetland and Shetland+Mohair, good too. Thinner socks and the mohair gives a luxurious silky feel as well as adding extra hard wear. A spinner friend says herdwick is good for boot socks too; I always thought they were a carpet sheep but am willing to try if I get some of their wool.

Oh and the Ronaldsay sheep are very tasty too - they're the seaweed-eating sheep :)

Oct 31, 2012
United Kingdom
I suffer both cold feet and soft skin which combined with some bad foot shape makes boots etc a nightmare for me. 1000 miles socks are okay and do help eliminate rubbing in some situations but I would not say they are especially warm. The best thing I've done for my feet is move away from the heavy tight boot to a hybrid boot in particular the Meindl XCR which has helped me loads - less restriction on circulation and better freedom of movement and blood flow. Regular hot foot baths are supposed to help increase circulation to the feet by opening up the capillaries, also the tights used for flights help prevent circulation on the outer areas forcing blood flow deeper which can help regulate foot temperature - you can get measured for these at the pharmacy - a friend swears by them and walks and mountain bikes in them at all times. Quite tempted to see if I can make some real fur inner soles with sheep skin or reindeer but not sure how well these will work.

All the best, hope you find something that works for you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE