Cold Essex Overnighter kit test.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I had a great night out with some friends yesterday on a permission in Essex. The Beast from the East 2 was in full form, snow, freezing winds and temps down to -4 (-9 wind chill).
For my set up I used my DD 3x3 tarp, plastic ground sheet, polish army sleep mat, Czech army bedroll, with 2nd button in fleece blanket and Swiss army wool blanket. Cook kit consisted of a chinese S/S Mors pot clone, pocket rocket and gas, kfs kit, mug, tin plate, fresh coffee and rat packs. All of this, except the sleep mat, I carried in my Norwegian Telemark pack. It wasn't far from the car, so weight wasn't an issue.
Some of the guys had arrived on the Friday,and put up a group shelter, gathered and split firewood, for the cold day and night ahead. Saturday, more firewood gathering, and catching up.
Went to bed around 9.30 and slept through till about 7.00. I had a very comfortable and warm night, and there were no problems with condensation inside the tarp.
All in all the kit worked very well, despite the conditions, and I had a great time catching up with some good friends.
IMG_20180317_122958.jpg
IMG_20180317_122940.jpg
IMG_20180317_122947.jpg
IMG_20180317_153916.jpg
IMG_20180317_143209.jpg
IMG_20180317_163947.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180317_144209.jpg
    IMG_20180317_144209.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 9

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
I had no idea that heaven was situated in Essex!!! looking well cosy there fellas :campfire: that last pic of the log/fire with the kettle on... how did you do that? (am i right in seeing the fire in the log?)

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well, part of me wants to say, you utter nutter, but I see that supply of Ash and the fire and am feeling a bit jealous. :campfire:

Nice candle fire for the kettle too. :)

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Looks like you had a great time. One of my sons was out doing the first round of this years Essex Cadet force Falklands competition. We thought they might have cancelled it, but they did not and managed
11km around the Hockley area, carrying full packs and taking on various tasks around the route.

His team came 2nd, which is enough to get them through to the next round against other Essex Army Cadets Companies. When they did the same 2 years ago the weather was the complete opposite.
That year they came 2nd out of all cadet units in Essex, inc Air and Sea cadets.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Looks like you had a great time. One of my sons was out doing the first round of this years Essex Cadet force Falklands competition. We thought they might have cancelled it, but they did not and managed
11km around the Hockley area, carrying full packs and taking on various tasks around the route.

His team came 2nd, which is enough to get them through to the next round against other Essex Army Cadets Companies. When they did the same 2 years ago the weather was the complete opposite.
That year they came 2nd out of all cadet units in Essex, inc Air and Sea cadets.

Good man.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE