Cold Case - Who Killed Roger Rabbit? (Graphic Image Warning)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Came across this today.....

Rabbit kill as found by British Red, on Flickr

From a distance I thought it was fur and faeces

Up close I realise something had neatly eviscerated a rabbit and left a neat, untouched, undamaged pile of guts and a "rear portion"

Rabbit kill intestines by British Red, on Flickr

This is rural Lincs so possible large raptors would include buzzard, kestrel, sparrowhawk (many), marsh harrier (local), barn owl (local), little owl (local). Mammals would certainly include badger, fox, weasel, stoat, mink, dog, cat, brown rat.

Its got me puzzled I must confess....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lol - I found some fur so probably not!

Whatever it was took away the hind quarters the following night - left the guts though

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Head, chest and forelegs all missing. Rabbit had been neatly paunched, guts laid aside, halved and front half removed.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The only animals I know that eviscerate their prey & then place the abdominal contents in a neat pile are cats. ..........let's not rule out either that some of the 'missing parts' (the head for example) may have been taken by another critter...

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
The only animals I know that eviscerate their prey & then place the abdominal contents in a neat pile are cats. ..........let's not rule out either that some of the 'missing parts' (the head for example) may have been taken by another critter...

Yep, I think cat too.

The cat I had as a boy was fond of catching and eating grey squirels and only eating the top half. However, he didn't leave his squirel butts in the garden, he kindly left them on my mums bed. :)

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I’ve know Badgers can turn a lamb skin completely inside out with everything gone from the inside, The carcass I seen looked like a mop at first glance , was the spinal cord cut or crushed ?

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
55 grain ballistic tipped .243 @ 150 yards......:):):):):)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Or a 50 grain Berger Match Grade Varmint + 41 grains of Hodgdon H380 steaming along at 3,900 FPS.........2nd one down in group shot, the only thing that this rig doesn't do to long range Coney is shrink wrap and bar-code 'em :)

Photo0143.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Seen one done like that before, never knew what done it. Found a pigeon missing its head last week, body totally untouched too, any ideas?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Don't have a clue but I don't think it was a bird because the beak or claws would have punctured the guts?
Any other ideas?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm going for badger. Looks like a classic case to me. They turn their prey inside out just like that. I've found they do it with hedgehogs very well, almost like a human did it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE