Cold Camping - high or low?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
so I have a chance to go camping this week but its looking like it will be chilly here in the Berkshire countryside.

I have a DD travel, and a DD jura so i could order an under-quilt tonight and hope it arrives in time.

...or I have a ME helium self inflating mattress thats about 4cm thick and a cheapo decathlon 1cm foam mat

question is do I:

a) order the quilt and hope it arrives
b) stuff the inflating mat or closed cell mat in the hammock
c) go to ground on the inflating mat

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Personally i'd go hammock with the mat if I couldn't get an under quilt in time, but if things are tight then just use the mat. Some people struggle a bit with a mat in a hammock but it's not so bad as long as you don't inadvertently pop it out over the edge :D

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've spent a couple of cold nights out in the woods... one with a nice amount of snow which was awesome!

My bag is a summer bag, so not the best, but have a thick mat under me and an underquilt... was toasty... well, at least until I needed to pee.

Without the underquilt, I reckon I'd be just as toasty with a decent blanket over me... the mat stops the cold underneath and unless like Tony says, you slip to the side of the mat (which is really rather cold) you should be fine.

Worst case scenario... take a leaf out of Bod's book... use your hammock as a ground unit.... lower your tarp around you and wrap up.

Just to make the point, up at Wooplaw my feet were frozen... I was very uncomfortable and due to having some steelwork in my ankle, my foot started to seize up. Twenty minutes in a summer bag, I'd warmed up again (although I did change my socks for a nice dry pair before I got in).... I was toasty warm. Surprised me, I thought I was in for a disturbed night through the cold, and the main thing that bothered me was the need to pee after getting myself nice and comfortable. Someone needs to invent an effective way to relieve oneself in a hammock without spillage risk... they'd make a fortune!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE