Cold-camp night footwear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Greetings,
Cold-camping is well-covered here.
In-camp footwear is well-covered here.
My question is specific to my experience last weekend. Solo camp in remote forest. Overnight temperature -10C. More-than-adequate hammock/underquilt/bag system. Tarp prevented overnight first-snowfall from covering autumn leaves.

It's 2am and my bladder wakes me from sweet slumber. Pile out of the bag in one layer of wool socks and do what's necessary while standing on the leaves. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Finally, the question. What sort of camp footwear do you folk use to slide into from the hammock? Boots take too long to don.

The bit of ice sliding down from my foot to the low point of the hammock prompted this question.

Thanks, be well.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Mukluk. Home made, they were 2 pairs of your average wool work socks. Mom had a punch to make sewing holes in leather to use as outer soles. The grey, chrome-tanned leather seemed to be available in every hardware store.
Jump into those, barefoot, to let the dog out for a pee at 3 AM and -25C, not a problem.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Carinthia makes little sleeping bags for your feet with a slightly stronger sole without profile.
Perhaps that's an option?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
A pair of boots, unlaced sat under the hammock surely remains the quickest item/most practical, both feet slip in at the same time, no need to lace up to stumble a meter or so from the tarp, slip back off before swing your feet back up into the hammock. I suppose with some classic hi-leg military type boots it could be a bit more of a pain to pull them on, in which case building on the above suggestion, a pair of crocs!

Reactions: nigelp

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The good old Wehrmacht boots also would be a comfortable option, seriously!

I have seen such as original remake for reenactment, but similar boots but with rubber soles exist too. I think Steinkogler and Trabert offer such modernised versions. Steinkogler even custom made in your individual measures if you want.

Rubber boots would be also an option of course, Dunlop perhaps.

You can use foot wraps over your socks to achieve the perfect fit for walking longer distances.

Last edited:

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
The good old Wehrmacht boots also would be a comfortable option, seriously!

I have seen such as original remake for reenactment, but similar boots but with rubber soles exist too. I think Steinkogler and Trabert offer such modernised versions. Steinkogler even custom made in your individual measures if you want.

Rubber boots would be also an option of course, Dunlop perhaps.

You can use foot wraps over your socks to achieve the perfect fit for walking longer distances.
He only wants to go for a wee!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I understood that.

But you get into such boots far easier than into boots with laces, if you just wear your socks.

Otherwise you put on a second pair of socks - or even better foot wraps - if you want to walk a longer distance, Berlin - Stalingrad and back for example or just a couple of kilometers back to your car, what's even more comfortable if you don't have a few hundred thousand very angry Russians behind you.

• Haha
Reactions: JFW

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Goretex socks.....slip on, slip off....

Or......

Take a wide mouth nalgene bottle to bed with you. You know the drill....... no need to even get out of the bag........

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Plastic bags.............but make sure they are the "Bags for life" variety.
That way you know you are saving the Planet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE