Coffee and coffee grinding.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smallholder

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2009
Cornwall
A novice question so please bare with me.

When you guys and girls go out in the field do you grind your coffee when you are there or in a grinder at home before you leave.

I would prefer to do it when i am at my camp but I have looked for a small grinder to take with me but have so far failed. Could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
How weird, you know I woke up this morning with the exact same question in my head, perhapse we've watched the same programme with a coffee grinder companys subliminal message?

as for coffe grounds it something I would like to do as well, what did cowboys use, did they grind fresh, did they take grounds with. i'm off to see how my google Fu is today.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I always take pre-ground coffee with me.
I don`t grind it myself but buy it ready ground, like most coffee is sold here.
But if I just had whole beans I would still grind it at home and take the grinds with me to the woods.
I don`t see the need to carry one more gadget into the woods.

As for the different taste in pre-ground and fresh ground coffee I doubt most people will know the difference. I know I wouldn`t, and I`ve been drinking the stuff for 30 years.

Tor

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
REAL men grind it in their teeth!

SENSIBLE men (like me) drink tea!

Last edited:

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I always take mine pre-ground. I see no real point in taking a portable grinder with me. As well as the problem of grinding you need to grind it to the specification of your brewing method, i.e. coarse (for cafetieres, brewing pots, etc), medium (for filters), fine (mocha pots), extra fine (Turkish style).

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Sorry you were looking for a portable coffee grinder I think.

There are a variety available and the prices vary wildly. The "burr" type is really the only one worth considering. This works like a mill, the other type has two blades and does a terrible job.

Here's some links, none are particularly small and light.

http://www.decuisine.co.uk/cookshop/tea_coffee_chocolate/le-express-coffee-grinder.html?ref=froogle

http://www.anothercoffee.co.uk/products/item150904.aspx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CKS-Designed-Polished-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B000SA6E1Q

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Maybe you should grow your own beans too, or forage for them. :D

And people think I'm eccentric when I pull out my coffee filter and thermal mug and start percolating a brew in the woods. :)

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
I thought I ought to mention this grinder. It's a ceramic burr grinder that is nice and small (it holds up to four scoops of coffee beans) and absolutely bulletproof. Not the cheapest (there are others on the site, but they're mostly plastic), but extremely well made. You can adjust the grind from extremely fine to very coarse. I use it every day with my Aeropress -- best cup of coffee around.

I'm not affiliated with the site, but I couldn't find anywhere else in the UK that supplied a good ceramic burr hand grinder!

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
An unusual first post "Crazivan" but it does look like a good grinder, although - as you say - it's a bit expensive.

... (oops, I forgot to introduce myself!) I don't know much about bushcraft, but I do know about coffee; so I thought I'd contribute something. I've posted a short intro in the appropriate section here.

p.s. that grinder fits perfectly inside an aeropress making it an extremely compact travelling coffee maker. I think the coffeehit website describes (and sells) this as the ultimate travel coffee kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE