Coconuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im going though a coconut phase!

So I now have lots of shell fragments.

Aside from cups, what else can you do with a coconut shell?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Helmet for a small child,
Size 28" B armoured bra cups,
containers (I've seen zips sewn to coconut halves so they could be zipped/unzipped),
um, could they be stacked to make a knife handle?
spoon - use them for the bowl bit and fasten to another bit of wood
Buttons
Toggles

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
The material is quite hard and takes a lovely polish. When finished it is dark and light brown with streaks, and makes great buttons. Just like I have on my shirt bought in Tonga :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I made some serving/salad spoons. Carved the bowls of the spoons, mortise & tenon joint into a handle carved in the shape of a prawn body.
Just cut a slot in the handle and epoxyed the bowl tang into that.

Fresh/damp coconut shell is a dream to carve with no concern for cracking or shrinkage.
Dry shell is bone-hard. I wasted a lot, should have tried to keep it wet.
I didn';t have the spoon geometry clear in my mind so fumbled around a lot and lost the rest.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If you heat them up ( boil or steam) you can flatten the hard shell Then only your fantasy is the limit!

Green coconuts have a very thin, light brown shell, nice to laminate like plywood before you use it. The more mature, the thicker and darker.

Coconut "wood" is a great material, but needs to be infused with a hardening laquer first.

I am now in the process of making a wall ornament from the sheath that surrounds the coconut flowers ( before the nuts firm).

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
A Hawaiian bra?

Obviously relies on a certain breast shape and size, but coconut shells seemed to work well in the films of the 1950s.

Failing that, you could use them as rudimentary catapults if you add a bit of elastic.

Far better as a bra in my opinion... and the slogan could be 'Coconuts.... the ultimate breast protector!'

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A Hawaiian bra?

Obviously relies on a certain breast shape and size, but coconut shells seemed to work well in the films of the 1950s.

Failing that, you could use them as rudimentary catapults if you add a bit of elastic.

Far better as a bra in my opinion... and the slogan could be 'Coconuts.... the ultimate breast protector!'

Some ladies might hurt their knees with your suggestion.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Back to topic before I get banned: you can make all sorts of nice containers from coco shells, water, food, strong drink...
Knife scabbards.

Yeah but I think the OP is about fragments (after the coconut's been cracked to get to the meat) That limits uses a bit. I wonder if there's any nutritional value to be gained from the shells? Tea? Ground into something else?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
It is a shame they're not whole coconuts... if they were, they could be painted with little faces and with enough of them you could proclaim yourself as ruler of the coconut people.

And that thought leads me to believe that using spray varnish in an enclosed environment may well have had an effect on my thought process.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE