Coconut cups

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I bought a couple of MASSIVE coconuts from the supermarket last night and have every intention of making one into a water flask (it'll probably hold a pint or so) and one into a food bowl.
Now, I remember seeing on here somewhere how someone else had made such items and how they'd managed to securely fit a spout to the bottle. Does anyone remember where that is, and provide a link?
Or if the person in question who made it (and I vaguely recall it was John Fenna - though I could be wrong) sees this, then could you kindly let me know how you did it (pictures as well would be a REAL help) or provide a link to the thread?
Cheers.

OK, on the count of three...'I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...'

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I bought a couple of MASSIVE coconuts from the supermarket last night and have every intention of making one into a water flask (it'll probably hold a pint or so) and one into a food bowl.
Now, I remember seeing on here somewhere how someone else had made such items and how they'd managed to securely fit a spout to the bottle. Does anyone remember where that is, and provide a link?
Or if the person in question who made it (and I vaguely recall it was John Fenna - though I could be wrong) sees this, then could you kindly let me know how you did it (pictures as well would be a REAL help) or provide a link to the thread?
Cheers.

OK, on the count of three...'I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...'
John it was

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK guys _ I fess up it was me.
I am not intending to advertise but my forthcoming book - "A basic guide to making your own budget Bushcrafting equipment" (available only from me) will contain step by step instructions on over 14 projects from making Tarps to trivets, drybags to daysacks, bivvi bags to coconut cups and ladles - all for a tenner inc P&P!
The bottle is illustrated but not done step by step.....but it is quite simply - cut the top off your nut, big enough to remove the meat, cut a disk of wood to fit the hole in the nut, cut a hole in the disk to take a spout (I used drilled out hazel - I think) glue spout into disk, glue disk into nut.
Oh by the way - I will be away for about 2 weeks but after that the booklet wil be available and advertised - PM me when I get back if you are interested

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jul16203.jpg

The bottle in question!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I seem to recall Mears saying to dump the coconut on an ants nest and they'd clear it out in a day for you. This was in the tropics though, would British ants be able to do the same thing?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Looks great John, light and strong. Spam if you have wood ants near you I suspect they would do the job, the ones that build the 1m high nests in woodlands. When I lived in Kent I used to use them for cleaning the bones of any roadkill I found, toss a squashed snake on there one day and a couple of days later there was a shiny white skeleton.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
OK guys _ I fess up it was me.
I am not intending to advertise but my forthcoming book - "A basic guide to making your own budget Bushcrafting equipment" (available only from me) will contain step by step instructions on over 14 projects from making Tarps to trivets, drybags to daysacks, bivvi bags to coconut cups and ladles - all for a tenner inc P&P!
The bottle is illustrated but not done step by step.....but it is quite simply - cut the top off your nut, big enough to remove the meat, cut a disk of wood to fit the hole in the nut, cut a hole in the disk to take a spout (I used drilled out hazel - I think) glue spout into disk, glue disk into nut.
Oh by the way - I will be away for about 2 weeks but after that the booklet wil be available and advertised - PM me when I get back if you are interested

Cheers John - appreciate that.
Just glue, you say? Mmm...I did wonder that, but thought it may not be strong enough. I was going to cut a simple thread into wood that fits onto the shell and glue as well.
Can I badger you for one last quick question? What glue did you use?
Thanks everyone else for your help.
Guess what I'm going to be doing this weekend...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE