Cobblers Path - East Coast Trail in Newfoundland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Backstory: I've got a bad back as some of you have seen on here already. Did a lot of portaging this summer with my canoe, with a pack with no back support, and pushed myself too far. Since then I've been to a bit of physiotherapy and trying to be more active. After living away for almost 3 years, I finally quit my job, moved home to St. John's, Newfoundland, and got married. Trying to eat better and be more active (and find a new job).

So, I ordered myself a proper pack with an internal frame (not here yet) and have focused on hiking, and hopefully planning on doing some cold weather camping this year. So far I've bee trying to hit up the east coast trail here every weekend.

Today, despite some inclement weather (8 - 10 C with 3-4mm of rain) my friends Marek and I hit up the section called Cobblers Path near Outer Cove and Logy Bay. A relatively short hike that I haven't done yet. Hiked out to Torbay Point for some nice scenery and then back down the trail. You can see our hike on google maps here thanks to the app My Tracks on my phone (seems to be something weird going on with the gps coords on the point, not showing on the phone).

Anyway, the rain was on and off but never heavy, the wind was low, and the temperature was just fine especially with all the uphill we were doing. Forgot to take some pics in the beginning, but after the first climb and return to sea level at Cobblers brook we got some.

PANO_20131103_134835.jpg

20131103_135344.jpg

From there we hiked up another big incline up to an old abandoned WWII battery and Red Cliff Radar Station which is of course covered in graffiti and used by youth as a drinking spot.

I'm not smiling here because of the vandalism which was out of my sight line.

PANO_20131103_141753.jpg

20131103_141720.jpg

IMG_20131103_142741.jpg

IMG_20131103_142836.jpg

PANO_20131103_142843.jpg

PANO_20131103_143028.jpg

At the main radar site we came across a fire truck, ambulance, and a group of guys dressed up in military looking gear and a bunch of air soft rifles. The fireman said they were there because a hiker had been injured, but I didn't see any other hikers. They had been there a while as I saw the red lights flashing from the distance. There is an access road that goes up to the station and that is how they got up there with the trucks.

We continued along the trail to a beautiful view point where we stopped and had a brew and a snack.

Here's me

20131103_161715.jpg

and me and my friend Marek.

20131103_161817.jpg

The view

20131103_160156.jpg

20131103_161848.jpg

We continued on a little further until the trail ended with a big fence and a private property sign. So we turned back and head back to the radar station to take an old path back to the road for my wife to pick us back up. It was a grand day, and I really enjoyed my walk and brew in the woods.

20131103_161930.jpg

20131103_162045.jpg

Nice! I've wanted to go to Newfoundland for a while now. Thanks for sharing...

I was born and raised here. Hated it growing up, I was picked on a lot and wasn't really into the outdoors. Grew to love it then I moved to Halifax, NS for 3 years for work. I couldn't wait to get back. Now I am here again, hopefully for good. If you ever decide to visit you can count on a bushcraft buddy to go on an outing with :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE