Coat breast pockets - why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
However, one part of a jacket I just can't stand and would happily do without is a hood.
A decent hood is worth it´s weight in gold when you have to stand outside wintertime waiting for someone and wind is blowing strong. I speak from experience.
Face burried in the hood standing back against wind is much better than hoodless.

Reactions: fielder1963

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Nearly everything I own has at least one breast pocket: coats, shirts, fleeces and base layers. One of my waistcoat has three breast pockets (and eight others).
What goes into them:
Glasses.
Any ticket, paper, reference receipt etc. required for or received during this outing. Pen. Rulers, screwdrivers, paper handkerchiefs, the list goes on. Sometimes a spork.
Yep - sporks aren’t just for camping. I love ice cream. I am heavily bearded so always used to buy a tub with spoon - ie two single use disposable items. I now buy a cone which I shovel out with a folding steel spork.
Off topic 1. I use a steel spork at every meal including Christmas.
Off topic 2. I rarely wear any other trousers than the nine pocket Caribou.

Back on topic - Wearing my waistcoat and Caribous I have twenty pockets and use the breast pockets to the point of resembling a lumpy drag queen. The pockets that I never use are the inside ones which are often both/all breast pockets.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I find breast pockets more useful that hip pockets on trousers. Stuff is out of the way when sitting or driving but still to hand. Yes I do carry handkerchief although I have rarely been described by a gentleman. ;)

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I find breast pockets more useful that hip pockets on trousers. Stuff is out of the way when sitting or driving but still to hand. Yes I do carry handkerchief although I have rarely been described by a gentleman. ;)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Baseball caps raise your IQ at least 20 points when you wear glasses and it's raining. Hood over the top the extra coverage keeps more of the rain off your glasses so you can actually see clearly. Very useful when you're walking near the edge of a cliff in the hills.

Waist / warmer pockets are risky if you ride a recumbent. Anything in them can fall out if you forget to zip closed.

Breast pockets are better for slightly weighty objects like phones that slap against you if you're walking with purpose. Higher up the striding doesn't cause them to slap around so much.

Reactions: Herman30

Glass-Wood-Steel

Jul 31, 2016
Cheshire
I don't EDC in my shirt breast pocket. I use them like a drop pocket for temporary storage while working on something but moving about. I like at least one on a shirt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE