Coastal survival in South India.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Hi Folks, it's that time of year again and I'm off to Kerela again.
I'm a bit skint this year and would like to stay for three months out there.
I'm taking my Bison travel beachcasting rod and reel with me, to spend evenings days fishing to help supplement my food needs.

Does anyone know anything about coastal foraging in tropical areas?
I'm trying to learn as much as I can as I am going to keep visiting Kerala and trying to find a way to live and work out there.

Any good books or general advice regarding foraging for food would be greatly appreciated.

I would also really like to learn a lot about bushcraft in the tropics.
So like I said any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
no real knowledge of tropical foraging, however i've been to india plenty of times, the people are amazing, resourceful, helpful, happy to help and also befriend quickly :)

my advice would be to make as many friends as possible and try to get in with one of the locals who fish for a living, then you learn the tried and tested method !

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
If you see an elephant run downhill, a snake run uphill, a crocodile climb up a tree. All will catch you on a flat run.
I spent a few weeks with W.A.S.I, Wildlife association of south India. The Anti poachers unit. Really that was the units name. We never used an axe once, but knives and saws everyday. Take or make a hobo kit as well.
Jack fruit that are HUGE grow everywhere, mango, papaya, truly rich pickings. It's an amazing place, with some of the best fishing that I've ever seen. Golden Marhseer we were after.
I always approach a local, ask them about their locality. What too forage, where to fish.
Be careful on the roads mate, crazy drivers.

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Thanks Chaps. I have a few good fishermen friends out there. One in Varkala and one in Alleppy. The first goes out to sea a long way with nets, the other goes out in a small canoe, dives for lobster and such.

I will make some small plastic bottle traps for bait and prawns. I will also make a larger lobster pot and similar traps to place out to sea. Maybe a gill net or two and maybe a long line somewere discreet. Search the rocks for mussels in the day and prawns at night with a prawn net, their eyes light up red at night with a torch.

I have been looking at some YouTube videos by a chap named Fraser Christian, from the coastal survival school. Some good videos he's posted under the name wildforage.

A good hobo stove fueled by used veg oil soaked and dried cardboard, but I don't really consider that bushcraft, more urban craft. : )

Still got lots to learn about tropical coastal survival and wild foods. I think I will research tarp shape patterns to make an emergancy mosquito proof tent from a light cotton sheet or maybe a large mosquito net.

I saw a good water still that can be rigged by a metal water bottle and a hobo stove.

I hope we can use this thread for good tropical bushcraft and survival techniques.

If your interested I can post a link to the YouTube videos, but on my iPhone at the mo, so maybe later.

Cheers all.

Last edited:

Boucaneer

Forager
Dec 2, 2012
London
Well stay in touch mate. I may be able to help. I'm looking at building some earthbag small domed structures out there and organising a not for profit company out there to mess around on boats on the backwaters.

I really wanna retire there and am starting work on it now.

Always great to have good people on the team.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE