Coastal Path UK (new poster)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 25, 2012
england
hello,

I am new here but I thought I would get involved a bit, rather than just join to see if I can book a place on the arctic thing :p
So - one thing that I have done recently that I really do recommend no matter what your experience is to walk the coast of the UK.

In stages, obviously, unless you have a year or something to take off to do it.
This summer just gone (well, call it summer... it rained the whole time except maybe a week and a bit) I completed the South West Coast path that stretches from Minehead to Poole, around Cornwall to Land's End.

It is 630 miles without detours to the pub and stuff, so that's 1000km. It took me 8 weeks with every sunday off and a couple of days lost to late nights, uber-heavy storms or fog and that girl I met.

Some of the stretches, I gotta say, were pretty tough. There were parts I didn't want to do in in such heavy rain and other parts where I kinda wished for a shower to cool off a bit. The bouldering around St. Ives was the most fun, but I saw quite a few people that day and so couldn't go at pace.

I probably packed too much as well, and - really - I only cooked a few times when I *had* to and didn't want to have to go to a village to get food at the pub. Lots of pubs, oh yes. Really good food.

I met this girl from holland who was carrying a pack that was even heavier than mine! she had a FOUR MAN tent, blow up mattress and about 10kg of make-up and shower stuff. Mind, she'd only stay on campsites.
Waiting for her at the top of Goldon Cap, I thought *** is she gonna get through her trip with that.
Once she met some other dutch ppl, I scarpered.

Another thing about the pathway, is you always seem to meet people who are from your town or who you know. I met these two guys, Norm (bout 170 years old) and Tim (bout 40something), which was a nice change from teh seasonal worker kids.
They recognised me from when I was in London and there was a karate school next to my place. Norm's one of the 6th dan's and tim's his student, so they recognised me from when their school goes to Highgate for gradings. Weird co-incidence, huh?
Was really nice walking with them and I was sad to see em go.

I don't really need to talk about the scenery because you probably can imagine that it's awesome (esp with the right music. esp when music is a luxury cos of batteries).
Saw a pair of hawks take another bird a few times, a marsh harrier carry of a few voles. otters... fooled a south african bird that a rock was an orca... til her husband got his *massive* zoom lens out and totally spoiled the magic of the moment on their honeymoon...

Cornwall was the best part by far. From St Just / Cape Cornwall to past the Lizard. Best few days of this year, so far :)
Didn't cost too much, and I reckon - if you did cook for yourself - you could do it forever on jobseeker's allowance. Might be a pain to get back to sign on every other wednesday, though :p

So there is my recommendation.
If you look at their website (www.southwestcoastpath.org or something) then there is a lot of info and guides and allsorts of useful stuff.
I'm not going to apply to the hall of fame until I have done it from Poole to Minehead next time ;)

Cheers,
Pete

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Welcome mate. Sound like a great way to spend days off. Sadly im in Coventry which is about as far as you can get from the coast. I do make trips reasonably often but it tends to be to Norfolk. I think living so far from the coast makes me appreciate it more when i do go

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
Hi and welcome :) That sounds great. Like Bare Thrills, I'm a long way from the coast... a couple of miles down the road from me is the most inland point of the country. But I guess even a long weekend or week would be worthwhile and I do want to do a longer walk soon. Anyway, nice to meet you and thanks for sharing :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I find costal walking great - but I prefer mountains :)
My big trip was an attempt at Lands End to JOG the pretty way :D
Although it failed due to injury my total walk was 1000k and took sections in the SWP coast path, Offas Dyke and the Pennine Way.
I have also scampered along loads of other LDPs in my time and can recommend long walks as a passtime - if I had decent knees I would be doing them still! :)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
That reminds me of a few years ago when I was walking a bit of the SW coast path and I met a guy, in his early sixties, doing the whole thing. Every year, he said, he took a few weeks off, said goodbye to the missus and did a long distance walk.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I do alot of costal walking the coast with the misses it's definately our favourite place

only completed as much as the Cornwall part myself - saw plenty of costal homes that are now on my wish list - especially the little stone cottage with its own harbour - cant remeber where exactly it was mind but if I win the lotter it will be mine....

Oct 25, 2012
england
Thanks guys. There is some good reading here.

I think the cottage you might be on about is called Blackpool cottage, and is located about 1/2mile from Hartland Quay Hotel, though there are loads of 'em to be honest.
the poshest ones were at Port Isaac, but you wouldn't wanna live there cos of all the martin clunes tourists.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE