Trip Report Clynfyw October Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - there may only have been two of us, it may have hailed and blown a fair bit... but we had a great time, cooking (inc Corn Bread - yummie!), talking, axe throwing, talking, processing fallen Oak and Ash trees (thanks to Storm Callum), talking, bimbling, talking and ... talking.
Chill nights with big fires, cool days and all very relaxed with lots of coffee from Stewart's Petromax percolator :)
The Nov meet is next weekend...
PA260001.JPG PA260005.JPG PA260006.JPG PA270021.JPG PA270025.JPG PA260003.JPG

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Corn Bread
100g (4oz) plain flour
100g maize flour (polenta)
3 table spoons sugar (I use icing or caster)
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg (vegan egg replacer powder from a health food shop works well if you do not fancy carrying eggs - and is cheaper than eggs... but with no nutritional value!)
3oz oil
1/4 pint of milk (or milk powder and water or veg milk)
mix dry stuff together
mix wet stuff together
mix wet and dry together (I did it in a poly bag this time) to a sponge cake mix texture.
Either bake for 25min at 220C
or fry in an oiled pan on a medium hot fire until one side is brown and the mix firm, then flip it until the other side is brown.
It is more of a scone than bread but delicious on its own served hot or with butter and jam or - especially if you cut down on the sugar and up the salt - cheese, bacon or other savoury
Dead easy to do on a Bushcraft set up - I have used a Dutch Oven on charcoal, a Crusader stove and an open fire - all with great results
I had scoffed about half this batch before I thought to photo it!

Baked Corn Bread - the alternative to frying it
PA100026.JPG

Attachments

• PA100026.JPG
    PA100026.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 5

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds good, looks excellent :) and if you want to use an egg replacer, just use soya flour beaten up with a bit of water and add that just as you would an egg. It's what vegans do when they don't want to buy expensive 'egg replacer'. If you're feeling wealthy a pinch of xanthum gum added to the soya helps create a egg like gel. Either way, you're right, and it's easier than carrying fresh eggs :)

Your campsite looks like a brilliant place to chill out, I hope the next meet up's a good one :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE