Close Encounter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Young but very dead grizzly bear in YoHo National Park.
It appears that a Mountain Goat repeatedly horn-speared the bear in the neck and shoulders and killed it. I think I said that the herbivores here are really dangerous critters to be reckoned with.

Ira

Sep 15, 2021
Kensington
As a boy scout back in the early 70s I did my survival badge during our annual summer camp which that year was in Dorset, somewhere near Bridport, I had to build a shelter in the woods out of anything natural I could find, and spend the night in it, luckily it was a hot dry summer and it didn't rain, or I would have got drenched as the shelter was patchy at best, but I slept in it and in the morning woke up to find a group of scorpions warming themselves in my open hands and on my chest, there was no need for me to dismantle the shelter, it was completely destroyed in seconds.

Many years later and I was looking after an Edwardian hospital in the middle of nowhere near the south downs, it was a private hospital, originally built for sufferers of TB, that had gone bust and was going to be redeveloped as luxury apartments, we had to patrol the grounds of about 150 acres and as it was pitch black at night, you had a fantastic view of the milky way. One night as I was doing my patrol, as I came to an area that had several large ornamental pebble gardens I heard someone or something moving about on the pebbles, my first thought was that I had found someone breaking into the empty buildings to steal copper pipes or something similar, so I clicked on my maglite and started shining it around but I couldn't see anyone, then the sound of pebbles moving against pebble was right in front of me, I shone the torch down and almost at my feet was a great big old badger, I don't know who got more of a shock but we both went our separate ways very quickly.

x22Salmon Fisher

Feb 23, 2022
Stockton-On-Tees
Hello im new in here getting used to forum layout.
i Was in the Burgos area Northern Spain wandering around the forests looking for Brown Bears i didnt see any but came more or less face to face with a small wolf pack of 5 animals...they stared me out then went on their way.I wasnt scared on little bit ....well thats what i tell people ;-)

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
30 odd years ago I used to be a keen fisherman. For the start of the new fishing season I decided to get an early start so caught the coach out to Bewdley the day before the new season started. I walked about 2 miles and found a nice spot and set up to wait for the dawn. It was a cold night for mid June so I put up my umbrella to give me some extra protection. I was in my late teens and not used to sleeping outdoors. I sat there in my chair aware of every rustle. Trying to doze off I suddenly became aware of a noise very close. I grabbed my torch and turned it on. There, about 1 and a half feet from my face was a bat! It had landed on my umbrella, scampered across the top and was hanging from the rib right in front of my face. I nearly sh!t myself!!! Now I love nature and given the time again it would have been fantastic to have just observed it, but in reality it was as startled as me, and it just flew off.

• Love
Reactions: Le Loup
Hello im new in here getting used to forum layout.
i Was in the Burgos area Northern Spain wandering around the forests looking for Brown Bears i didnt see any but came more or less face to face with a small wolf pack of 5 animals...they stared me out then went on their way.I wasnt scared on little bit ....well thats what i tell people ;-)
Nothing wrong in being scared Salmon, fear is what keeps us alive. But sometimes we have to conquer that fear in order to stay alive. Standing still was a good choice. Well done.
Regards, Keith.

30 odd years ago I used to be a keen fisherman. For the start of the new fishing season I decided to get an early start so caught the coach out to Bewdley the day before the new season started. I walked about 2 miles and found a nice spot and set up to wait for the dawn. It was a cold night for mid June so I put up my umbrella to give me some extra protection. I was in my late teens and not used to sleeping outdoors. I sat there in my chair aware of every rustle. Trying to doze off I suddenly became aware of a noise very close. I grabbed my torch and turned it on. There, about 1 and a half feet from my face was a bat! It had landed on my umbrella, scampered across the top and was hanging from the rib right in front of my face. I nearly sh!t myself!!! Now I love nature and given the time again it would have been fantastic to have just observed it, but in reality it was as startled as me, and it just flew off.
Thank you for sharing that Greg, it was a good read :)
Regards, Keith.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE