Close encounter of the cute kind

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
Had a magical moment on a recent visit to the woods, a fawn popped out the hedge only a few yards from where I was packing up ready to leave - it bolted as soon as it saw me, but as I watched it go it slowed and seemed intrigued by the cold camp fire ring nearby so I took the opportunity to nab a few long distance shots with my phone before it disappeared into the undergrowth again.

Best day yet thought I as I finished packing up, but as I looked over the place one last time there it was again

Eventually I remembered the zoom and

I'd invest in a decent camera if I thought that might ever happen again, but there's plenty of deer tracks in the lower wood so I might just treat myself to a trail cam and see what else is about...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Jack: get yourself a simple and light-weight rake. Even a torn branch from a trail-side tree. You need to be able to smooth out patches of trail to reveal fresh tracks and not those of uncertain age. I expect that your deer are like ours: undisturbed, creatures of habit that you can set your watch by.

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
Thanks @Robson Valley , there's a sandy patch by the stream where they seem to like to cross that's usually got tracks, I don't normally bother brushing out old tracks though as I only go down there once a fortnight or so.
Interesting to hear their creatures of habit, I know foxes like to keep to a schedule but hadn't thought about deer, although with the woods the other side of the stream being used for rough shooting fairly regularly neither the wildlife nor I are as undisturbed as we'd like to be

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE