Clikstand and woodfire, anyone had any experiences?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I've had an idea about using a Clikstand combined with a stainless steel sink strainer ( dropped into the space left for the Trangia burner ) as a small firebox, just not sure how well it'll stand up to a wood fire. On the one hand it's stainless steel on the other it's thin stainless steel. A comparison being, Clikstand is approx 0.3mm thick whereas a Pocket Cooker is about 1.0mm

If it works it'll be a great little lightweight versatile setup, if it doesn't at worst, given a large bucket of standby water, it'll be a waste of a good Clikstand.

So before I potentially ruin a Clikstand I though I'd ask if anyones ever used one to try to contain a wood fire or accidentally started a woodfire in one and if it caused any lasting damage.

Failing anyone ( as silly as me? ) wanting to have tried it I think my first step would be to just chuck the sink strainer ( also about 0.3mm ) in a woodfire, next time I make one, and see if it survies.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Well having decided that if I did destroy the Clikstand I coukd afford to replace it anyway I gave it a go without the intervening steps.

Placed the Clikstand on a metal tray ( To catch any ash or embers falling through )Dropped the sink strainer in, placed some small feathersicks, a couple of cottton wall balls with vaseline and a few more solid pieces of pine offcuts ontop, lit up and all went well. Boiled 600ml in an Alpkit Mytimug, using a computerfan as a support. Flames were a little over the placve till I put the Clikstand windshiled in place and from then on it just worked by choosing thing slices of wood to feed down the sides.

Things I'd change.

Well if using the computerfan grill I'd have a multitool with pliers to hand, that way I could lift it off and put thicker pieces of wood on rather than feed thin pieces in from the side.

I'd go for the three bars across support so adding thicker wood just mean lifting pot.

If I use the Mytimug with it I'd pobably add a foil pie dish as the ash catcher, else I'd go for a pot where I can stand the Clikstand on the pot lid and which fits the Clikstand and windsheil better.

Add a small metal disk to go inside the sink strainer, that it would add the versatility of using esbit or hexy tablets.

Maybe try a toast topper pop can stove sitting on the sinkstrainer, which could aslo be used to support the hexy

If you've got a Clikstand adding a sink strainer and a minipopcan stove (at less than a £ ) give you what's possibly the lightest wood, alcohol and hexy stove combination going.
I probably ought to let the makers know their missing out on a trick when it come to the larger US ultralight backpacking market.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
Hi Glen
So the Clikstand was fine with a wood fire inside.
Thanks for being 'guinea pig' because I have been thinking about this idea but have been to
cowardly to risk trashing mine ;) Did you find that the stainless soots-up a lot?

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Well having decided that if I did destroy the Clikstand I coukd afford to replace it anyway I gave it a go without the intervening steps.

Placed the Clikstand on a metal tray ( To catch any ash or embers falling through )Dropped the sink strainer in, placed some small feathersicks, a couple of cottton wall balls with vaseline and a few more solid pieces of pine offcuts ontop, lit up and all went well. Boiled 600ml in an Alpkit Mytimug, using a computerfan as a support. Flames were a little over the placve till I put the Clikstand windshiled in place and from then on it just worked by choosing thing slices of wood to feed down the sides.

Things I'd change.

Well if using the computerfan grill I'd have a multitool with pliers to hand, that way I could lift it off and put thicker pieces of wood on rather than feed thin pieces in from the side.

I'd go for the three bars across support so adding thicker wood just mean lifting pot.

If I use the Mytimug with it I'd pobably add a foil pie dish as the ash catcher, else I'd go for a pot where I can stand the Clikstand on the pot lid and which fits the Clikstand and windsheil better.

Add a small metal disk to go inside the sink strainer, that it would add the versatility of using esbit or hexy tablets.

Maybe try a toast topper pop can stove sitting on the sinkstrainer, which could aslo be used to support the hexy

If you've got a Clikstand adding a sink strainer and a minipopcan stove (at less than a £ ) give you what's possibly the lightest wood, alcohol and hexy stove combination going.
I probably ought to let the makers know their missing out on a trick when it come to the larger US ultralight backpacking market.

Thanks for sharing. Is it possible to mace some photo's? A photo explains thousand words ;)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Hi Glen
So the Clikstand was fine with a wood fire inside.
Thanks for being 'guinea pig' because I have been thinking about this idea but have been to
cowardly to risk trashing mine ;) Did you find that the stainless soots-up a lot?

The stainless steel does, though it wiped off better than the titanium mug did ( or I suspect aluminium would ) It's definitely going to travel wrapped up to stop that spreading.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Thanks for sharing. Is it possible to mace some photo's? A photo explains thousand words ;)

Not right now, maybe in a day or 2, for now hope this will do.

The basic firebox :

Take one Clikstand

http://clikstand.com/operatinginst.html

Remove Trangia burner and replace with stainless steel sink strainer :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faringdon-S...00669?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1181675181&sr=8-1

I can't promise that actual strainer is going to fit but if it does it'll be better than mine as unusually it's got holes in the support rim.

For a small pot when burning wood it'll be far easier to attend the fire if you use this design for smaller pot support than the computer fan grill I did.
http://clikstand.com/smallpot.html

The (optional) windshield really does seem to help with the wood burning, I guess it helps create a bit of a chimney effect and therefore incease airflow from underneath

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
I would have thought that a clikstand is bit too small to retain enough heat and fuel for a viable fire - there just wouldn't be enough energy retained in the fire bed to sustain good combustion.

I would also just about guarantee that if you did manage a decent fire in one, it would be pretty much destroyed - springy stainless that thin will deform badly and lose it's spring.

I'll keep mine dong the job it was designed for (and which it does very well) and use the CD sized nimblewill type firebox for little woodfires.

cheers
Matt

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks Glen.

A general question about the clickstand: does the trangia gas converter work with it, or is that only for real trangia burners?

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I would have thought that a clikstand is bit too small to retain enough heat and fuel for a viable fire - there just wouldn't be enough energy retained in the fire bed to sustain good combustion.

I hadn't thought about the theory, just tried it out in practise, it was enough to get a good rolling boil with over half a litre of cold water in a fair breeze, I'm not sure how much difference that would make, I guess I ought to try it on a still day sometime.

I would also just about guarantee that if you did manage a decent fire in one, it would be pretty much destroyed - springy stainless that thin will deform badly and lose it's spring.

Yeah I'm a bit concerned about repeated use, I guess time will tell on that one.
Though keeping it to just boiling half a litre or so it's probably only at full temp for less than 5 minutes. Not sure how that would affect the tempering and springyness. Wish I had some way of measuring the temperature of the wood fire and the steel, as your point above may even be keeping it from getting much above the temperature it was designed to operate at.

I'll keep mine dong the job it was designed for (and which it does very well) and use the CD sized nimblewill type firebox for little woodfires.

I just had a measure up and done a calculation of the Clikstands internal volume used as a wood burner, max is a little over 1/3rd of a litre, during my test burn I couldn't have used more than 0.25lr ( that's ignoring air gaps for now )

The Morrison's hob ( as used by Wayland ) must have roughly 100mm internal diameter 0.25 litre would be equivalent to a little over 3cm high worth of wood in the bottom of one of them ( Though as it's circular and you need to be either dropping wood down the top or putting it in a small side door it probably doesn't pack as well so real equivalent figure might be closer to 4-5cm high ) Has anybody measured the thickness of the walls of these?

From that link I guestimated the Nimblewill to have a internal volume of just under a litre.

Something else that might be making a difference here, when using the Nimblewill ( it doesn't have a bottom grate does it? ) or Wayland Hobo, when the wood or ember volume is low the air is being drawn in from the sides whereas with the Clikstand ( once it's going and the windshield is in place) it's being drawn from mainly underneath and stays that way till the end. It's possible this is making a difference in the ways which they burn small volumes.

Going back to your first point I was using very dry wood, maybe it wouldn't have worked so well if the wood had a higher water content.

Overall I must agree with you that if I was going for a few days in a wood I'd take a proper wood burner. The whole concept of burning wood in a Clikstand this way came about when I was trying to find a way to not have to carry extra meths in a bottle, alongside a full Trangia burner, just incase I wanted to stop out a day/night longer or had extra tea cravings and didn't want to use an open ground fire.

How well something works can be very subjective. This setup has passed my preliminary tests to my satifaction ( which I admit I didn't have high expectaions ) but in fact for that one test it was better than I expected, only repeated use under differing circumstance will give me a long term opinion and show up faults.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Thanks Glen.

A general question about the clickstand: does the trangia gas converter work with it, or is that only for real trangia burners?

Sorry I don't have one to try out. 2 things that would need to be thought about. Fitting and heat output.

The Trangia alcohol burner virtually sits on the ground in the Clikstand, so height of the gas burner underneath may be an issue. Hmm another thing might be how tall the gas conversion is.

The gas pipe won't be able to be threaded through the Clikstand windshield vent holes, though this should be relatively easy to overcome by taking a pair of snips and cutting from the base up to one of the lower pair of holes.

If your thinking of trying it an alternative to the Trangia conversion unit, at around half the price, is the Markill gas conversion unit.

Though a big caution if the heat at which gas burners work, that may well be too much for the Clikstand.
I'll let someone else be the first to try that as my inital feeling is it would be too much, it's a much more obvious thing to try than woodburning and I'd expect it to get around quickly if it worked. Maybe try seaching the web see if someone owns up to being sillier/braver/richer than me ;)

Edit Update : Check post 64
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4039&page=3

and
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...um_post/5660/40523/forums/thread_display.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE