Cliff Face Tent

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have been thinking about looking into a certain piece of kit . It is a tent (of sorts) that you hang of a cliff face ! I have seen these in use and possibly in films !
Is there such a thing or am i daydreaming again ? I have googled with every description i can think of but have had no luck at all .
Does anybody have any experience with these or have you seen thm=em for sale anywhere ? Any help appreciated
Cheers
Pumbaa

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I seem to remember that one of the original such devices was desighned up by Don Whillans back in the 60's. It was essentially a nylon fabric box built on a platform of alluminium scaffolding. I have also see, in a film, a hammock with a waterpfoof cover on it, slung under an overhang. It was used by climbers in Arizona. :)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The Whillans box was a classic of its time and used in the assault on the Central Tower of Paine as well as the Bonington-lead 1970 Annapurna South Face expedition. It was a very heavy-duty piece of kit (designed to withstand avalanches!) and weighed-in accordingly.

Portaledges are good and surprisingly comfortable, as well as affording the occupants the best views you can have. I wouldn't recommend slinging one from a tree on a bushcrafty type trip though - any breeze and you'll be penduluming back and forth. They are great on big walls but do require a little care in setting them up. If you still want/need one, Fish are very good, as are A5, but they remain an esoteric bit of mountaineering kit.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
underground said:
That's lilely Fred- Don was a great innovator as well as a fine mountaineer and exceptional character!

I recently read 'The Villain' and by all accounts he was a bit of a swine too. I'm glad I never crossed him.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Alls i can say is not for a bloody big clock ! :eek: not a massive fan of heights especially in a bed like thing suspended from a little metal pin plus trying to SLEEP ??? yer all mad !

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
george said:
Pumbaa you might find the sort of thing you're looking for here http://65.108.204.95/FAQ.htm not a big wall hammock or portaledge but a fairly interesting idea.
Wow , that is exactly what i have been thinking of . even down to the triangular platform !
Thanks for your responses people , not sure how high id like to be on a ledge mind ! The idea is to get the hounds of the ground too .
Pumbaa

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
There is no way you would ever get me in one of those things, I have seen one being used and you can forget it. :eek: :( :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE