Cleaver

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Re-working an old "centaur" cleaver (Muchly Samon!) I wanted a more Victorian blade look and be able to have better choke up and blade control.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I love the way you 'aged' the handle!
The crack looks like it took decades and hundreds of washes to develop, and the strip looks very bushcrafty!
:)
It is the original handle! I was a bit "gorilla" in taking one side off as you can see! I have to re-do the handle anyhow due to re-profiling the handle a tad and there is more to come with the finish.........

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looking a lot different than it did a few days ago! Pretty cool.

My tip for extreme patina paste is a shot of white vinegar, tea spoon of English mustard and a tea spoon of salt. Loosely stir and roughly apply to the blade. It will add decades in days if you leave it to air and really set in.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Looking a lot different than it did a few days ago! Pretty cool.

My tip for extreme patina paste is a shot of white vinegar, tea spoon of English mustard and a tea spoon of salt. Loosely stir and roughly apply to the blade. It will add decades in days if you leave it to air and really set in.
Fine recipe! I will give that a try :)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
No more pic's just yet but I have noted a quench line on the lower third of the blade its distinct and matching on both sides, the upper is gray and the lower a brighter harder steel so I would like to make a feature of it, but what a nice thing to find!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No more pic's just yet but I have noted a quench line on the lower third of the blade its distinct and matching on both sides, the upper is gray and the lower a brighter harder steel so I would like to make a feature of it, but what a nice thing to find!

First class quality then!

If you had a flattish piece of antler, that would do it justice.....

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Looking good.
I'm hoping for a little 'steampunk' look to the finished article...
I will ponder on that, I understand the style but not sure I could make it work, this is the starter to a three part camp/hunting set I hope to do, there is the main knife and small food knife to try and dream up to fit in style and use wise with this.

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I will ponder on that, I understand the style but not sure I could make it work, this is the starter to a three part camp/hunting set I hope to do, there is the main knife and small food knife to try and dream up to fit in style and use wise with this.

I think, lots of big brass rivets with dark wood and over engineered leather work/sheath.
Whatever you decide I love the shape you've given the cleaver and look forward to seeing the completed trio (and the progress pictures).

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I think, lots of big brass rivets with dark wood and over engineered leather work/sheath.
Whatever you decide I love the shape you've given the cleaver and look forward to seeing the completed trio (and the progress pictures).
Thanks for the complement! So something Victorian industrial in nature, Yer I see how that could work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE