Cleaning your knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Hi, I’m just wondering what the general consensus is regarding cleaning your knife blade if you use it for various tasks around camp?

As an example, it can’t be great to use a knife for batoning, feathersticking, carving, and filleting raw meat, and then to use the same blade to cut and eat your meal?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I do all the above with my knife. I wipe it on my trousers between tasks...... if it gets gunked up with blood or fish guts, I rinse it with clean water and then wipe it on my trousers.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I sometimes clean my blade with boiling water and usually wipe it to something else (pine bark is good for the purpose) before my trousers. :D

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
+1 to Van-Wild's process :)

If you prep your meat first all the other tasks will clean your knife though.

The reality is that fresh killed meat is not usually carrying loads of bacteria to do you any harm; it's only after it's been hanging around that it's dodgy :)

Whatever you do, don't put it in the fire.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
... and a wipe with an oily rag won't hurt if your knife's a carbon steel one

Get a sheet of paper towel, dot it with some baby oil and put it in one of those little spy capsule things. Perfect. Add it to the key ring with the loupe, tweezers, SAK and fauxton on it :)

Reactions: LarryBass

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
I guess its another one of those things in life that fits into the 'I think I think too much' bracket

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Yeah, 100%. I’m not a germ freak by any means but at home I’d never dream of eating with the knife I’d just used to dice the raw meat.

dandan

Nov 23, 2007
South West France
I clean my knives initially with my compressor. This would only be my folders , assuming I was at home. A big jet of wind does wonders for cleaning loads of things. ( take care on exposed skin)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE