Cleaning sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Whats the best method to clean a 95 pattern british army sleeping bag. Bought a surplus one been wanting to replace my others for this bomb proof one for years.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Depends how filthy it is? Id just let it air out on the washing line n then give it a good whack n a brush.

You can use a washing machine also.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
First, as it is used, check carefully for any tears inside out, plus for weak stitching. Keep the washing machine on the lowest heat, and the gentle cycle.
Take out, hang up and drip dry for a while.
Then put in tumble dryer, lowest heat. Check often, fluff up.

If zip is difficult to operate, lubricate by running a soap bar gently on it.

No fabric conditioner.
I used to do this once a year with my synthetic s. b.
Never washed the down filled ones.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
With down sleeping bags, hand wash only, and dip dry/air for a week, turning inside out etc often. Only wash down bag at the height of summer during the warmest period, as you cannot phase the drying, so has to be done all at the same time.

Gra

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Synthetic bags wash fine in my experience - just use low heat and gentle wash as Janne says - whatever you do, don't put it on a fast spin or you'll just compress all the insulation.

If it was mine, I really would wash it :)

Reactions: Nice65

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Elite cleaning services in Rotherham, anything down comes back looking like new, fully lofted up. First rate !
No affiliations etc, just a very happy repeat customer.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If it was mine, I really would wash it :)

Remember, the bag was used by a sweaty, unwashed trooper.

I would not mind buying a used backpack if it was synthetic filled, but never a down filled one.

Washing down/feathers decreases the insulation somewhat.
Better to use a liner and wash that one.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The 90 pattern was synthetic so after an air, a good wash - just remembered I used to be that unwashed sweaty squaddie definitely need a wash then.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I don’t think they dry clean sleeping bags or duvets any more, that’s what my local cleaners said, the fumes from the ‘ perk ‘ they use are poisonous.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
A wash with a clothes washing liquid is a good idea. Synthetic wash cycle but as short as possible. The longer it's being bashed about in a machine the more damage to the insulation fibres.
Tumble dry on cool untill it feels dry and then hang for 24 hrs in a warm place to ensure its perfectly dry. Or if weather is hot and sunny I do main dry outside then finish in tumble dryer.
That's my routine . Seems to work fine.
Dirty bags don't perform as good I'm told so I do keep mine clean.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My best phart-sac is synthetic Hollofill on the bottom and down on the top.
I had it dry cleaned once. I had heard stories about solvent fumes so a day on the back line really did help.
I sensed (really freakin' cold) that the insulation loft was compressed.
Into my clothes dryer on air fluff with a pair of size 12 trainers to massage the fillings.
About 45 minutes as I recall. Did a very nice job of poking and prodding the insulations.
Not forceful enough to rip any obvious stitchings.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
No bag should REALLY be washed...it will ultimately degrade it/damage the fibres and lose loft. The 90 bag (95?) is old style synthetic (I have one) hollofil.
If you HAVE to wash it, do so on a cool gentle wash, using soap flakes, not detergent. Tumble dry gently and again coolly. Air and fluff up, and then use a cotton/silk liner within.
After use, air thoroughly, and store UNcompressed...loose and or hanging is ideal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE