Cleaning cork

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok not he most gripping of subjects but I thought I'd mention it.

for various reasons I favour using stoneware containers over tin plastic and glass in the shed so I pick them up cheap when i can. If the big cork lids are dirty the charity shops etc practically give them away. The dirt is normally ingrained and won't wash off but a few seconds on a belt sander does the trick.

The flat ends are easy to do but with a bit of practice the slopping sides are as well.

The trick is to lightly pinch the cork with one hand at the centre points top and bottom and use the other hand as a break cupped around the side the sanding beltis dragging the cork towards. By varying the pressure the cork will spin slightly slower than the belt and be sanded clean and flat again.

imagejpg1_zps88b024dc.jpg

For some reason these large corks are ridiculously expensive to replace

http://www.just-cork.co.uk/corks-bungs-c-2.html?page=3&sort=3a

for what they are, more than the pots usually cost!

stone wares is much tougher than it looks, just about lasts for ever unless you are actually trying to kill it, doesn't rust, doesn't degrade like plastics so can be stored in direct sunlight and gawd help me, looks pretty! One thing, tung and Danish oil doesn't store well under cork for some reason but there are plenty of stone bottles with threaded pot lids with rubber seals.

Ive rarely paid more than £1.50 for a quart bottle although some places will charge you the earth as a "collectors item". Pearsons of Chesterfield for one was still churning them out by the thousand into the 1990s but using moulds dating back to the year dot.

i need to get out more dont I?

Atb

Tom

imagejpg1_zps56c869ed.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsc9dc61e2.jpg

Excuse the pics, the suns actually out today

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, there's dozens of others around the house, holding small files, pens, screwdrivers ( if they hold metal bits I pad the bases on the inside with scrap leather ) all sorts really. Thankfully no one seams to collect them so they are dirt cheap. Some are even used as intended, the corks I cleaned up where for Tea and sugar pots which will be used in the kitchen now.

atb

tom

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Really nice collection Tom, I have a few Thermos flasks and use a diluted bleach solution on the corks and this method has served me well to date.

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Huh... just remembered something seen at a (not)chinese shop. A whole load of eartenware stuff... I can check out the prices and snap some photos if you want? It's Spanish/Portuguese style stuff I suppose.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers but I've restricted myself to just Pearsons stuff to avoid mission creep. My dads family comes from the same bit of Chesterfield where the pottery was.

Atb

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE