Cleaning and looking after my machette

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sploing

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
Back to the original thread, silvo metal polish will shift just about anything. I've even used it on performance gearbox components without any trouble. it'll even shift the carbon off the inside of a cylinder head.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
Hey nickg,

Thought I was the only one who used Ren Wax :lmao:

I have also been told that it can be used on old photographs - is that right?

Phil.

I heard that too but Ive no first hand experience. The head of conservation at the Wallace collection told me that you can pretty mutch slap it on anythig organic so if the photos are on paper then it should be fine. There are a few issues with early petro-chemical products like bakelite etc in long term contact situations so that may include the emulsions and glazes on postwar prints. In the regimental museum at Chatham we only store photos in glassine envelopes in a humid controlled environment.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Clean a machete?

Nope, sorry you have lost me there :confused:

Sharpen? aye.
Remove rust? yep.

Remove slightly dirty stains? Nope lost again :confused:

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
scouser4life said:
well i have recently bought a machette. Its carbon steel.
http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-15774.html

After hacking and sawing into some trees it has lleft stains on it. LIke when you get a branch and wipe it on the floor. That cream colour. I have trying soapy water, but it wont budge. Any ideas how to clean it and also how to general care for it. thanks John

Paul Tawrell says using wood ash from a dead fire, it polishes the stain off without scratching the soft steel. I've tried it, it works, but only after alot of rubbing! I prefer the finest grit of emery cloth that I can get, soaked in water or oil and then rubbed briskly.

I only do this when the stain is too much, or some rust has accumulated. But other than that I let my knife stain, it looked better ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
All tools should be maintained to an extent. Polishing them constantly would be going over the top a bit, but certainly removing rust and keeping it sharp should be a priority. Rust is basically metal cancer, the longer you leave it the worse it will get and it will eventually kill your tool, whatever it may be.

In Africa, I've seen locals sharpen their machetes on a smooth rock, and the Democratic Republic of Congo can be quite humid at times, but their machetes weren't rusty. Just look after it as you see fit, if you think you need to sharpen it, then do it, no one but you can decide how well to look after your machete. :)

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
There is a metal cleaner called Metal Glo, it will take off patina in seconds and return carbon and tool steel blades to super shiny. It also leaves a sort of greasy residue that acts as a rust inhibitor. It costs about $1.30 a tube at dealer prices so it shouldnt be much, even in the UK.

Metal_Glo.jpg

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
If you sharpen your machete with a whet stone, use the thin slurry that is formed as a polish, and rub it over the mark with your finger or cloth, it will shine in no time!

I do this as routine maintainance on most of my knives!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE