Cleaning a Down bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Got a Blacks Icelandic.

Was warned it needs a clean.

I thought the best would be to jump on it in the bath.

as for drying, we dont have a dryer, but nearby is a launderette...could I use their's?

I thought of dry cleaning but might be beyond my budget

Reactions: Le Loup
Got a Blacks Icelandic.

Was warned it needs a clean.

I thought the best would be to jump on it in the bath.

as for drying, we dont have a dryer, but nearby is a launderette...could I use their's?

I thought of dry cleaning but might be beyond my budget
Mate I don't think a down bag can be cleaned without ruining it. Dry cleaning uses dangerous chemicals, & if you wash it, it will never be the same again.
Keith.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If the seams are sound, and the down isn't crumbled to dust, then the feathers will wash fine. They're meant to stand up to rain, etc., after all.

If it's not sound then Keith's right and it'll shred and never be the same. It relies on the loft among the feathers to keep you warm.

However, failing a good couple of days blowing on the line in decent-ish sunshine, the tumble drier works to dry it. Throw in a couple of tennis balls to rattle it around and seperate any clumps of feathers that form. The laundrette's huge tumble drier sounds a good idea, loads of room and it won't take long there either so less damage likely.

It's very much worth your while going over the bag carefully and re-stitching any split or dodge seams, before you wash.

Mine just got washed in the bath with gentle shampoo. It's meant for hair, feathers are just bird hair, and it rinses out well. I just used to leave the bag to drain down over night and then put it out on the washing line in the morning.

• Love
Reactions: Le Loup
If the seams are sound, and the down isn't crumbled to dust, then the feathers will wash fine. They're meant to stand up to rain, etc., after all.

If it's not sound then Keith's right and it'll shred and never be the same. It relies on the loft among the feathers to keep you warm.

However, failing a good couple of days blowing on the line in decent-ish sunshine, the tumble drier works to dry it. Throw in a couple of tennis balls to rattle it around and seperate any clumps of feathers that form. The laundrette's huge tumble drier sounds a good idea, loads of room and it won't take long there either so less damage likely.

It's very much worth your while going over the bag carefully and re-stitching any split or dodge seams, before you wash.

Mine just got washed in the bath with gentle shampoo. It's meant for hair, feathers are just bird hair, and it rinses out well. I just used to leave the bag to drain down over night and then put it out on the washing line in the morning.
Thanks for that Toddy, I was not aware that a quilted eiderdown or duvet could be washed without damage.
Regards, Keith.

Reactions: Winnet

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive washed quilts that way. It takes a lot of kicking and punching to get the down to unclump; wet down is depressing.

But the quilt was chucked so I could risk it.

However it came up just fine once dried.

I will give it a good check to see if its sound first.

No tennis balls. what else could I use?

Reactions: MrEd

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Just had a quick look.

Its very small...and light as a feather.

(Ha ha).

It indeed is fousty and needs a good clean; but the cloth is sound and no leaks.

Its a bit loose in the bag; so maybe has lost a bit of loft...But no doubt as a good quality item it would have a roomy bag...

certainly a good find.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ive washed quilts that way. It takes a lot of kicking and punching to get the down to unclump; wet down is depressing.

But the quilt was chucked so I could risk it.

However it came up just fine once dried.

I will give it a good check to see if its sound first.

No tennis balls. what else could I use?

Believe it or not, a pair of soft trainers :) or those foam soled flip flops.

It just needs something to rattle around with the bag or quilt that won't tear the fabric or smash any fine feathery quills to shreds.

We used to take the carpet beater to the feather pillows once they were almost dry on the line to fluff them up properly. Granny said to 'caw canny' ....be careful... about doing it and not mangle the feathers though.

We don't hear about carpet beaters nowadays. It was a great way to get rid of the excess energy from exhaustingly energetic grandkids :) Go and beat the rug on the pole for ten minutes :rolleyes2:

Reactions: Winnet

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, they certainly do need a firm hand.

I put my flip flops in with the quilt, ended up in partial delamination but nothing severe.

would crocs do?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They 'might'. I don't know if they'd just be too harsh :dunno:

Tennis balls are pretty much ideal. Think of something that kind of weight and unedgedness, and it ought to do fine. Ball of string in a mesh bag of some kind. Or tied up in hankie ?

M

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I’ve used an old clean trainer before, no issues. Remember to use a low temperature setting when drying!

Reactions: Toddy

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com

Thumbs up to what Toddy said ! I have done this with all of my 3 down sleeping bags several times. In fact the most popular brand/maker of sleeping bags, tents etc in Norway (Helsport) say this on their website and pamplets that follow the sleeping bags :

"How to wash your down bag
Wash the down bag in the washing machine with down detergent and rinse out excess water at the end of the washing cycle. Wash at 40°C with approx. 30 % of the normal amount of a mild detergent. The minimum capacity of the washing machine must be 7 kg. Remember to close all zips when washing. The best way to dry it is in a dryer on low heat. Use tennis balls or wash balls to restore resilience and fluffiness. If you follow the washing instructions for your bag, the down will regain its carrying capacity after washing."

Helsport - take care of your sleeping bag

Ray Smears

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2022
Somerset
I had my army pattern 58 washed at the local laundrette.
It came back bigger and lighter in colour.
They know what they are doing. It cost £10.00.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE