Clean water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Goose said:
Doesnt a PET bottle in the sun for an hour do the same thing?

PS the above is a question dont try it til you have checked!!!!!

I suppose if it was hot enough, and you put it in the right place it might get warm enough to do something. But it is probably the right light spectrum to grow a new colony of something nasty.. After all, the sunlight can kill the things that are supposed to be killing the bugs ? :confused:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
:D :D

It's probably alright if you were in one spot, in a very hot place and you had a dozen of them so you could get a rotation going.

I wonder if the UV one is any better than the miox jobby. They both use batteries, though that probably isn't the best idea in the world. Something else to run out in an emergency...???

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Your not wrong !! Does seem geared towards "rain harvesting", swimming pools and aquariums though. And for the rain harvesting you need to filter it anyway, to make sure that the little blighters can't hide behind particulates. Which is making me lean towards a decent filter and either boiling or chems. And they dont need batteries !!

And damn it, i have a katadyn already.... :D

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
I saw this a few months back and thought it looked like an interesting concept. It uses some kind of electric/chemical effect and only needs a watch battery and some salt to work. I've found MSR to be one of the few outdoor companies to make nothing but good kit so I'd like to give this a go sometime.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'd probably still favour a good quality pump over a chemical/miox system - both of these have components that you might 'run out of' (chemicals/batteries/sunshine :D). Add to this the time delays involved (the dwell times for the MSR MiOx solution can still run up to 4 hours).

Now to decide if I can afford a katadyn pocket filter... :)

Stevie

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2005
Kidderminster
4 hours does seem a very long time. You could have had a good fire going, cooked your food, cleaned your water and gone to bed in that time :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE