clean shaven Woodspirit...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On getting home from the RC meet I found I had received a new knife to play with and proceded to have a play :)
Fiddling about with a bit of kindling I tried out the usual - feathersticks, battoning, hook cutting, draw-knifing etc and ended up with one side of the stick as an Atlatl with a pot hook at 90 degrees at the other and then decided to try a "woodspirit" type face - my first - although I have carved other stuff in the past.

The stick is 9 1/2" long, the face 3" from bark to bark and about 1" wide.

The knife blade is 13.75cm (just under 5 1/2") long and 3cm (1 1/8") from spine to edge, 2.5 mm thick, drop point scandi laminated steel.

A bit big for carving so I was forced to use some interesting grips.... just a quick bit of fun realy but it showed me you CAN do a lot with a bigger knife than the optimum :)
DSCF4201.jpg

DSCF4202.jpg

sorry about the photo quality...

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The knife is undergoing review and all the photo rights will be for sale to the mags :)
I can tell you it is a Helle Jegermester though

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very good John

I have a few sticks like that lying round my bat cave, not attempted a spirit yet though

courtney

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2011
near rugby
very nice that , i wouldn't dare use a big knife to carve that id prob lose a finger or 2 lol. how long did it take to carve the face. i havent tried wood spirit carving yet.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice work John, he looks very wise and serious.

I must try carving one of these out some time.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice. Did you do it as a trial run for a new clean shaven JF?

NO WAY!
I have had the beard since I was 16, my wife has never seen me without it, I do not know what is under there ,some owls live in there and I doubt there is much chin present...or too many chins.
This face stays furry!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There's probably 50yrs of bush tucker in that beard of yours too John!! Can't deprive the wildlife by shearing it off now can you :p...Nice Wood Spirit by the way:headbang:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE