Clark Jungle Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

Annie

I'm thinking of getting a Clark jungle hammock, the north american version - has anyone used one? My prime use would be for bushcraft type weekends or camping from my kayak at any time of year.
Any opinions you have would be greatly appreciated

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Never used one, but i own a DD Hammock. I have to say after looking at the Clark i wish i had one!

You get a tarp aswell as a built in mossie net and cover.

I'd say go for one even if they are alot of money

I've got one and they are excellent - if hideously expensive.

It's a very versatile hammock as you can have it open, with bug netting or completely enclosed - like a suspended tent.

The external pockets are extremely handy for gear - although I would question their insulating properties in really cold conditions. I've heard of people using blown up zip locks in them with some success, although I've yet to try that myself.

The best thing about it IMO is that it has enough attachment points to make it easy to pitch on the ground - like a basha - for when there are no suitable trees or when it's too cold.

Go for the extra large tarp which is an optional extra - it's worth it.

Cons? Well apart from the price, it certainly won't be spark proof (unless it could be treated?) and whilst it is very comfortable - you won't be lying as flat as you could in say a Hennessy. It is possible to widen it, using the same attachment points as the ground set up - but you end up with rigging lines all over the place - so it isn't really worth it.

To sum up - expensive? certainly but you're paying for the Rolls Royce of single person outdoor shelters.

A

Annie

Excellent, thanks guys. I was going to go for the XL fly & possibly a reindeer skin inside for insulation or if it's really cold maybe a thermarest but I'm not sure if it would fit well.
I had a hennesey before but sent it back due to unusually poor build quality & found it awkward to get in with a sleeping bag as the entrance was underneath (but maybe it waspoor technique on my part - I'm new to hammocks)

Excellent, thanks guys. I was going to go for the XL fly & possibly a reindeer skin inside for insulation or if it's really cold maybe a thermarest but I'm not sure if it would fit well.
I had a hennesey before but sent it back due to unusually poor build quality & found it awkward to get in with a sleeping bag as the entrance was underneath (but maybe it waspoor technique on my part - I'm new to hammocks)

I sometimes use a thermarest in mine and it fits fine. Just make sure you only semi inflate it - that way it will mould to your body and the hammock and won't end up on top of you! I like the idea of reindeer skins but I'm not sure how practical they are re weight and bulk (I'm trying to reduce my kit list).

I too had a hennessy, and whilst I found it very comfortable, in the end I didn't always want to be enclosed once I was in it - the Clark gives you the options for not too much extra weight.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Use mine a lot, it's kept me dry in some pretty good rains:

IMG_0106-1.jpg

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
How much was it to import it? I'm thinking of maybe getting one - Hammocks aren't really my thing but I thought I would treat myself!

Crafty - the two previous posters are posting from the USA, so they couldn't answer your question, and the rest of the posts are 18 months old - and lots has changed since then.:)

But they are very nice hammocks - but so expensive - here are the latest prices

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE