Clamp cleats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Top tip my friend, I will defo be getting some in. I use the standard alluminium jobs for the HH and are a pain to get right. I like the idea of the glow in the dark ones and the price is ok too.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I like them too and like you say they look so simple to use and set just If as good as the blurb states I would get the bulk bag of 50 but just the 8 to try if no ones used them before.
Dave.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Just thinking they could have many uses if as good as they say after the new year i'm going to send an enquiry to the company to see if they make a cleat suitable for hanging a hammock see if its viable,quicker and possibly safer than knots if as none slip as they say I know they make other types for sailing etc. Can't hurt to ask.
Dave.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Thats a brilliant idea. I am sure you have looked at their main website and the array of uses for the cleats is amazing. They would easily take a human's weight and more, it would be just a matter of getting a cleat that can fit the required rope diameter. I think it would fit a HH type of rope or any other climbing type rope for that matter, lets hope so anyway.....

update
======
I have just fired my order in (coulndt wait any longer) and they appear to take PayPal as payment, so hopefully they will be with me early in the new year. So I can get a full review out by then. I will also risk life and limb to see the if they are viable to be used on the main hammock ropes (more than likely we will need some proper metal ones for this task).

Possibly something like this:

http://www.clamcleat.com/cleats/cleat_details.asp?theid2=72

Oct 20, 2005
Livingston
Hi,

these cleats (or ones that look very like them) came on my tent guylines (Vango TBS Equinox). Very simple and quick to use with absolutely no problems so far. Mind you I haven't been in my tent when there's been more than a strong breeze.

You will have to marry the cleat with a line of suitable diameter - mine are defintely a tight fight and you can feel a soft 'click' when the line is engaged properly.

Hope this info is helpful and Happy New Year to you all.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Well cleats arrived this morning so two days to deliver reasonable, Tried them out on some 5mm cord very secure tugged pulled and leaned on them and can't get it to slip yet so easy to release again after just pull the lines apart decided to really test them placed one either end of just a boot lace to see how it holds pulled one loop wearing thick leather glove and other end over metal spike in the wall outside and I broke the lace after a min or so but the cleats held firm so they held against 17 st or 100+kg. So simple yet so effective I think i'll find many other uses for them.Can't wait to try them on the tarp for real
Dave.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Clamp Cleats Mini Review
========================

Well I finally managed to venture out and try out the cleats today.

The cleats are simple pieces of plastic with a ratchet type of grip that once setup will prevent the line from moving. If the line needs further tightening or loosening then this can easily be achieved by pulling open the lower loop (the bit that goes around the peg) and pulling the lines apart releases the tension.

DSC00681.jpg

In the basic camping range i.e. ones to be used on tent guy lines, we have two variations of the cleat (as seen above). There is the large cleat for larger diameter line (2-5mm) and the small cleats for your basic string type of line (0-3mm). I opted for the glow in the dark large cleats (because they looked cool) and the standard mini cleats. The metal guy line runner is just used for comparison.

I am testing the mini cleats on the Hennessy Hammock's main tarps guy lines and the large cleats on my bog standard army issue type tarp.

As I was setting up my Hennessey Hammock, the weather was a howling gale (besides the weather report that informed me that it was going to be a nice day) but I quickly attached each of the mini line locks to each of the guy lines of the main tarp without too much problem. Its basically a case of threading it through two holes and tying a stopper knot.

9e1bb27b.jpg

I then attached the larger ones to my old army type tarp guy lines. I was going to try the cleat on the main line that holds the tarp up as an improvised tensioning system (this is what we are aiming for with hammocks as well) but my main line diameter is far too large to fit through the cleat, so I will try it with some thinner line another time.

846979f2.jpg

The army tarp set up under tension.

7bcb441b.jpg

I then improvised some stakes and pegged down the guy lines. A quick tension and they were firmly in place in seconds. I usually have to faff about with the old metal style runners as they kept pinging free, but no such problems with the cleats, once in position they aren’t going anywhere.

Next I usually use line tensioners to keep the Hennessey tarp tight, especially when you get into the hammock itself, the lines usually sag something chronic and this leaves a saggy tarp that flaps about driving you mad. So I use a length of elastic, about twenty centimetres and tie a basic clove hitch at the top and then after tensioning with the lovely cleat, simply tie another hitch across the lower line and then tension the elastic by drawing the knots away from each other until tight. So now when you get in the hammock the guy lines will sag, but the slack is taken up by the elastic. It is not 100% full proof, but does the job and is fairly safe unless a peg works itself free.

1b0e9194.jpg

As you can see, after adjusting all the guy lines the tarp is fairly taught.

9034177f.jpg

The other thing I suggest is the use of two sets of snakeskin’s for the Hennessey hammock. One to keep the hammock rolled up inside and the other to encompass the rolled up hammock and the tarp upon putting it all away. I se the largest snakeskin’s for both jobs and find it a knack to get the last bit of the tarp into the snakeskin ready for packing away. The only thing is you will have to undo the prusik knots on the main line to put the snakeskin’s on for the hammock.
The below sort of gives you the general idea.

f13abf2f.jpg

I had just set up the camp,

d0bc0908.jpg

got the old tea boiling away with the newly purchased Kelly Kettle, when the sky turned black, around a hundred geese flew overhead (an omen), a huge sheet of lightning and the skies opened up. Perfect I thought and a torrential downpour ensued. It really tested the new system and it held up (luckily), except the tarp does sag when wet anyway. So I sat down and busily slurped my tea for the next couple of hours, before returning home to dry everything out, a top day indeed.

I would highly recomend the cleats to all users of guy lines in all shapes and forms (there uses are endless) and seeming they are so cheap its not going to break the bank either.

Reactions: beachlover

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Good stuff!

I have been thinking of setting up my hex fly up with prussic knots to achieve the same thing (need to change the line though as the stuff supplied is cheap crap) but these would be a good substitute.

One suggestion though - how about setting it up the other way round so that the loop goes through the tarp and the single end can then be tied to a peg or, as I sometimes do, a side tree branch.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Stew said:
One suggestion though - how about setting it up the other way round so that the loop goes through the tarp and the single end can then be tied to a peg or, as I sometimes do, a side tree branch.

Thats a top tip Stew, I had'nt thought of that. I will give it a go on my next outing.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Brilliant review and test lardbloke not been out to test mine yet in the field be hope to this weekend. Still heard nothing from the company regarding the larger cleats for a hammock think i'll have to drop them a reminder tomorrow.
Dave.

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Nemisis said:
Brilliant review and test lardbloke not been out to test mine yet in the field be hope to this weekend. Still heard nothing from the company regarding the larger cleats for a hammock think i'll have to drop them a reminder tomorrow.
Dave.

Cheers Dave. Lets hope they get back soon (I bet they are still trying to update thier website with a hammock picture!!).

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
As the thread ets going I'm sure many will find these little fellas(cleats) quite handy. But isnt the idea of bushcraft to use traditional methods wherever possible.

Now I'm a complete novice as far as bushcraft is concerned, but have camped far and wide, in hammocks, tents, shelters in many continents as a volunteer in developing countries. What I learned on these trips where to use your skills, and keep practicing them. If we start with cleats, and yes I have used them camping under bashas, and on a hammock line, and they are great, quick & easy (lethargy-inducing) but not very inkeeping with knots and lashing.

Try them you will love the simplicity, but it will take away the satisfaction of knowing you made the knot that is keeping your tarp over you (and you dry or shaded), and your hammock hanging.

I only use them now for a quick and easy clothes line.

Hope my opinion isn't scorned upon, as I know they are a good peice of kit, but nevertheless misleading away from personal knowledge of knots.

Cheers

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
fair play my friend, we are just trying to give people a choice (the cleats are not just for guy lines). Dont worry I still practise plenty of knot tying besides using them on a shelter and agree fully with your statement.

Scoops

May 17, 2005
essex
hawsome34 said:
But isnt the idea of bushcraft to use traditional methods,

i agree with you but have ordered some and they arrived today and they are excellent :You_Rock_ . dont worry i practice plenty of knots.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
While I agree with you hawsome if using the cleats makes it easier for a beginer without your experience and encourages them to continue learning because they stay dry/comfortable with the cleats then they can have a benificial purpose within bushcraft.
Dave.

hawsome34

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2004
Merseyside
Nemisis said:
While I agree with you hawsome if using the cleats makes it easier for a beginer without your experience and encourages them to continue learning because they stay dry/comfortable with the cleats then they can have a benificial purpose within bushcraft.
Dave.

Nemisis, I agree with you on that very valuable point, and admit I overlooked that factor. :eek:

The cleats are useful, as I said, and I'm sure a beginner to puttin up a basha would love them, and the shelter could provide them with the perfect frame to practice there knots on in situ. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE