City Slicker goes on a 30 mile hike!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheCitySlicker

Feb 27, 2007
Hello all
I am The City Slicker who has managed to get himself roped into hiking the West Highland Way in June. :D To get prepared I need to do a 30 mile hike next week and someone suggested the Brecon Beacons would be a great place to do so.
Can anyone suggest some decent routes, some great places to see and some ideas of things to look for out in the countryside.
thanks
TCS

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
First of all have you any experience with hiking? Are you going alone? Do you already have equipment?

The Brecons can be very harsh on a beginner. If you are going with a group of people then it's not so bad, but I wouldn't go solo until I had put some time in. In fact I'd probably say doing the West Highland way was good training for a trip to the Brecons.

Eric

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
I'd have to agree with Eric on this one. The Brecon Beacons is not a place to be taken lightly, thought a round of the main ridges is a great day out but not much water enroute.

Don't worry about things to see on the way as you won't have time to look if you plan to do 30 miles in a day. :)

Why not do 30 miles over a weekend and test out your backpacking kit for the WHW. This will be very helpful to you before committing to a full week, as you are sure to want to take/leave/change something.

Don't forget the midge repellant for Scotland. :eek:

Stu

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
ystradvelta water falls are a nice thing to see, but the path i used to see one of them (the only one i saw) was hard work. theres a hotel in penderyn which is next to ystradvelta there are other hotels along the A470 road. there are buzzards in ystradvelta too i was watching them the other day got to see one swoop down and attempt a kill.

im no good on advice for paths because what i do is get up and go anywhere (but maybe the taff trial path is long enough - this is a popular path) + i dont walk 30 miles. also walking next to the many reservoirs would be beautiful or the rivers (e.g. usk, brecon canal) or forests. there are many brecon footpath books about.

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
Ok with this walk will you have to start and finish at the same point like your car or do you have a bit more freedom? how long do you plan on going for?

TheCitySlicker

Feb 27, 2007
Thanks for the input thus far.
Even though I am a city slicker I have done a fair amount of hiking - last year I did Mont Blanc and a number of other peaks in the Alps, the year before I did Kilimanjaro. I have been to the Brecon Beacons a few times, but only really concentrated on set peaks like Pen-y-Fan rather than map out a trail and manouver my way around that. I have plenty of stamina but my orientation and survival skills are very, very limited :( (as you might expect from a city boy!!)
I will be driving down with a friend - another city boy - and so we really need to do a circular or to-from hike.
I appreciate the comments about the Beacons, is there another range within say 4 hours drive of London where we could get a good route, beautiful scenery and give us a good test for the WHW?
TCS

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I'd be interested in knowing this too! I went to the peak district recently and it was lovely. Only about 3 hours drive

Where do you live in London? It affects where you go (so you don't have to mission through or around)

How about dartmoor?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE