City-Link

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

This is a prime whinge.

Why???

Well it's quite simple, City-Link are quite useless.
I have had a lot of kit delivered over the past few years by them, a lot on next day delivery and they don't and have never managed to actually deliver on time.

Apart from having a delivery time of from 0730 - 1730 (which they don't actually keep to as I've had packages at gone 1800hrs), they have your goods for days and don't deliver when they are supposed to. If I pay for next days delivery then this is what I expect.

Not that we've had your goods since Thursday last week and we can't be arsed to actually deliver them until Wednesday the following week. I have also had a slip placed through my door by the only delivery driver that wears stealth slippers to make deliveries.

Despite being sat in a chair for the majority of the day that was no more than 10 feet from the door I was told I was not in and that as a result this slip had been posted at 1300hrs, that would have been a miracle as I was talking to a neighbour on my doorstep at the time.

I placed an order with another company at the same time and not only did the delivery company give me an hour bracket they also told me the name of the driver. That I think was interlink express. Hermes give a similar service, so the question is how can City-Link be quite as poor as they are.

A friend of mine used to work for them and he says "Well it's because we have more deliveries than we can possibly handle in one day without having time travel", basically the company is tight, the drivers aren't paid a lot and they are expected to actually deliver more packages than is feasible without breaking the laws, both of physics and of the land. The only way a City-Link driver will be able to deliver everything on time is if he's called "The Doctor" and his vehicle is an old blue police box that's been repainted yellow and green and is generally known as the TARDIS.

So, what are we expected to do. Well I for one am willing to contact the vendor and say "If you are going to ship with ****ty-Link, Don't" I am quite willing to pay that little more to get the goods when I need them and not post event.

Is anyone else of similar experience??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been using Collect+ and am very pleased with it both coming and going.

That said, the last parcels that came to me were delivered by MyHermes, and were all delivered in a very timely fashion with no fuss or bother.

I think CityLink has shot itself in the foot, tbh.

atb,
Mary

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I can't say that I can recall using City-Link (in or out) but I've had good service from Collect+, MyHermes and InterLink / InterLink Express. I've even had to collar Amazon to ask them to slow deliveries down! :lmao: In at least two cases with Amazon*, because I knew I wouldn't be available to take delivery the next day, I've purposely waited until 'a good while' after that day's order cut-off time to place an order ~ and they've still arrived the following day! Fortunately I have good neighbours :D . IIRC, MyHermes has rolled up earlier than expected too ~ and if memory serves me one parcel was delivered to me mid afternoon ... on a Sunday! :yikes:

* Amazon prime rather than just Amazon ;) .

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Struggling to remember the company name now but the last delivery I was first given a two hour window. Then I received several text messages narrowing down the time and even giving me the drivers first name :)
Its the usual company misconception that all we want is cheap, no matter what the cost to the service.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thing is though; they aren't cheap :sigh: while the others are very reasonable.

I have a parcel to send this afternoon....up to 5kgs for £4.25, and up to 1.2 m long x 30 x30cms and up to 15kgs for £7.75 or £8 if they pick it up from you too. 25p for them to pick up a parcel (85p on a Saturday) from MyHermes. So far I have had no complaints, no losses, no problems :D
Same with Collect+.

cheers,
Toddy

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
City link use a lot of owner drivers and ive often had stuff come at 8pm at night. They are not my favourite by a long shot. I am now resolved to stop using royal mail as i think the recent price hikes and new sizes are an absolute rip off. Will be using my hermes from now on. its half the price of royal fail

leon-1

I can't say that I can recall using City-Link (in or out) but I've had good service from Collect+, MyHermes and InterLink / InterLink Express. I've even had to collar Amazon to ask them to slow deliveries down! :lmao: In at least two cases with Amazon*, because I knew I wouldn't be available to take delivery the next day, I've purposely waited until 'a good while' after that day's order cut-off time to place an order ~ and they've still arrived the following day! Fortunately I have good neighbours :D . IIRC, MyHermes has rolled up earlier than expected too ~ and if memory serves me one parcel was delivered to me mid afternoon ... on a Sunday! :yikes:

* Amazon prime rather than just Amazon ;) .

I had a delivery fro MyHermes last year on a Sunday, I quite like them. I also use Amazon Prime, this was ordered through Amazon on Amazon Prime and that was last Thursday. City-Link are the carrier / crawler of this package.

I've been using Collect+ and am very pleased with it both coming and going.

That said, the last parcels that came to me were delivered by MyHermes, and were all delivered in a very timely fashion with no fuss or bother.

I think CityLink has shot itself in the foot, tbh.

atb,
Mary

Not tried Collect+ yet, but I'll look into them.

Struggling to remember the company name now but the last delivery I was first given a two hour window. Then I received several text messages narrowing down the time and even giving me the drivers first name :)
Its the usual company misconception that all we want is cheap, no matter what the cost to the service.

I normally get the first name of the driver with Interlink Express, I didn't on the item that they delivered on Friday as he was a stand-in according to him (I mentioned that they normally send the name of the driver)

I don't mind paying as long as I get the goods when I need them, but this isn't the first time that I have been let down when City-Link is the carrier. In the past I have called them, but their customer service is next to non existent. I have also tried email before now and I have had either no response from them or a Standard "we're sorry we couldn't deliver today, can you actually be there tomorrow" like I wasn't there waiting and wasting a day on the proper day of delivery.

I have ordered other things since having ordered this item from Amazon on the prime side of life and they are here with me. One item I wasn't actually expecting until today and it arrived on Saturday.

I have no issue with Amazon or any vendor, but carriers should do what they say they are going to do or not exist.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Contact the seller/retailer and ask for a refund of the shipping costs and also ask that they refuse to pay the courier. If enough people do this then the ineffective couriers would not be in business. That's basically all you can do other than as you state ask who the courier is and say either please use someone else or you will not buy.

That said Sh*tty Link have earned their name.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Hermes are not exactly flavour of the month in this household after thinking that to get a parcel from Cumbria to Milton Keynes you first send it to Belfast, which takes 2 days, but to get it back from Belfast takes 14 days and then have to workout how to actually get to Milton Keynes. Apparently suggesting that the M6 in a southerly direction would be a good start is facetious....

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Got a few tools delivered by DPD recently.
I get a text saying it will be coming the next day, giving me a one hour window when to expect it and giving me the option to...
Get it dropped off next door.
Get it delivered next day.
Get it delivered the day after that.

So far its been great, on time. Spot on.

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Hate fly by night couriers, normally get the option of driving 20 plus miles at their convenience to grab it from the depot!!! why o why don't people just use Royal Mail???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE