Citronella

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Upfront, I am no fan of the stuff; I find it acrid, I hate the smoke that 'bites' and I think the beautiful lemon tones are all too often swamped in fly spray like elements to it.

That said, it's a long used component of supposedly natural remedies and insecticides, candles and home made household cleansers/airfresheners/carpet cleaners.

In Canada though, it's shortly to be banned.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/health-canada-pulling-last-of-citronella-based-bug-sprays-1.2750365

Another victim of the conglomerates agin the home based industries ? or has Canada side stepped both of them and looked at the wider picture ?

M

nunzionuk

I find the UCO Citronella candles dont smell, at least that I have noticed, and the burn for hours (6 hours iirc).

I think its just another victim of a nanny state.. seeing its been used for years, and no adverse affects have been noticed.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I too am no fan of the stuff, and I don't think it at all effective as a bug repelant, but it's very hard to get away from it as it seems to be in and on so many things. I can't bear the hint of it now it's so ubiquitous.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm fond of lemon, of the citrus plants in general, but this (I know it's not a citrus, just sort of scented that way) citronella stuff isn't something I like. I just keep smelling something not good 'under' the lemony scent that's wrong somehow.

It's a bit like using lavender for biscuits and tea.....it just....nah. No thank you. I use lavender in cleaning, I use the fresh plants to make lavender wands and bottles, but eating it just seems very peculiar.

I recently saw a claim that it was traditional in herbes de provence....no way; we grew all the herbs to make our own for years, no lavender. Then I googled and Wikipedia says that the lavender is an American addition to the traditional mixture.
Each to their own, but don't try to claim long provenance to back up something when it's not true.

We live and learn :)

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm with you M, especially on citronella candles, they make me gag. I do like citrus smells, but there's something else in citronella that repels me more than it does midge!

Lavender though is something else. Love it, just think a few floral notes on a delicate crumbly piece of shortbread served up with good ice-gream? And the lass in the local coffee shop makes a brilliant lime sponge topped with a hint of lavender. (Gluten free too!)

It also makes a lovely song...

[video=youtube;Q7sIzWKHGwQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7sIzWKHGwQ[/video]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it's the association with washing and cleaning. It's not a food, iimmc.

Each to their own, but I think that'd be a waste of good shortbread.

You've put me in the notion now. I love the smell of it cooking, but it's cheese scones I have planned to go with tea.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think it's the association with washing and cleaning. It's not a food, iimmc.

Each to their own, but I think that'd be a waste of good shortbread.

You've put me in the notion now. I love the smell of it cooking, but it's cheese scones I have planned to go with tea.

M
Corr! Cheese scones are one of my favourite things to eat. (Especially when used as cobbles on mince! - You can take the Scot out of Scotland...:eek:).

But what about lemon washing up liquid!? Though unless very fresh, coconuts always reming me of washing up liquid. My lass is the same with violets. I love Parma Violets and violet creams but she thinks they taste like horrible flowers.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just been thinking about this whilst out and about with the dog for a brief stroll, and it hit me; it's an astringency that puts me off the citronella, same as if I go into a Boots store I just gag and have to leave.............

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
On about bug repellent, I bought some Lifesystems Expedition 50 stuff a while ago.
I've only put it on once cos the stuff reeks so much, its absolutely rank and smells like a burnt out clutch/burnt out organic brake pads do.

Citronella is waaay nicer than that. Not that its nice but the other stuff is just so rank.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE