cigarette filter fire lighters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fisheyelens

Feb 12, 2010
Cumbria
Hello everyone,

Im quite new to the forums. So hello again to those iv met an hello to others. this is my first "tried something" post, so if its been done before or its just common knowledge, sorry.

Just been playing around with an idea for something that might help me light a fire in the wet or snow. I will keep trying the hard way, but if im gagging for a brew this might help :).

So its basically making a tiny candle out of the filter...

DSC00254.jpg

So i rip the end to make it like broccoli,

then dip the solid base into the wax and let it wick up, making sure it doesn't soak into one, maybe two leaves at the end so you got something to light.

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

so thats it, job done.

DSC00260.jpg

so i decided the best place to test it would be in a used tealight tub, light it. burns away for ages. I know you can do this with cotton wool but i think the toughness and wicking properties of the filter.

As the wax melts an swooshes around, you can make a big flame.

DSC00262.jpg

So i keep a couple in my tinder box, just incase. Tiny an workable.

DSC00263.jpg

i will use it to light my new hobo stove i made from advice off the forum! So thank you every one.

25430_10150101860085366_788115365_11303225_2020701_n.jpg

Hope this is useful to someone.

Cheers

Lee

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
cool i like new ideas, I'll try it!
Just an idea, you could use wax crayons to colour co-ordinate them to your kit!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
That's an excellent idea, thanks for sharing it.

As a roll up smoker who uses filter tips, I'll give that a go.

All the best

Liam

bri66

Feb 17, 2009
somerset
Hi I use a similiar idea,only bigger.Cut a toilet roll into 4 tubes,put 2 cottonwool balls in each piece,melt a candle into the cottonwool,not really bushcraft but always gets a fire lit,Brian

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Great idea, try soaking the tip in lighter fluid or meths first then coating it in wax to form a seal, it dosent last as long but the flame it gives of is a lot bigger.

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Great idea, try soaking the tip in lighter fluid or meths first then coating it in wax to form a seal, it dosent last as long but the flame it gives of is a lot bigger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE