Christmas Trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
i have just been takeing my christmas tree down today. it was a cut one so it's petty dead by now. i was just wondering if you guys had any imagetive idea's on what i could do with it? :)

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Burn it. I do. Wait a year and put it in a barrel and throw a match down there and it all goes into flames. Not very useful, but when we're burning stuff (sticks and twigs, etc lying around) anyway, why not throw it down there too? :roll: :)

So my best advice is use it for firewood. :biggthump

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I walked the dog yesterday and saw all those trees on the street, ready for waste processing. I took three good ones with the roots on and planted them in our garden. I never understood that: feast is over and they just get dumped.

The rootless ones are good kindling for the fireplace, I assume. Another excuse to use my bushcraft equipment :wink:

-Emile

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
i was thinking that this year i could do something else with it than just burn it because i do that ever year. do you think that there is something more imagetive to use it for? whats spruce like to carve?

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Please put THUS SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA ( 2001 Space Oddessy opening title) as I turn on the light here :nana:. My grandfather built barracks in Alaska during WW2. He made an incredible miniature log cabin from spruce with an operating fireplace, tiny glass windows and door on leather hinges.It was sadly destroyed in a long ago California brush fire. But every year I replicate it and give it to a child. You could make a whole Celtic Hill fort! Invite the fairie folk to occupy it. Am I good, or am I good :wink:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Please put THUS SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA ( 2001 Space Oddessy opening title) as I turn on the light here :nana:. My grandfather built barracks in Alaska during WW2. He made an incredible miniature log cabin from spruce with an operating fireplace, tiny glass windows and door on leather hinges.It was sadly destroyed in a long ago California brush fire. But every year I replicate it and give it to a child. You could make a whole Celtic Hill fort! Invite the fairie folk to occupy it. Am I good, or am I good :wink:

We here think you are very good, but for God's sake don't tell 2 doctors and a social worker :nono: or you won't have sharp things or be allowed in the woods for a long time :yikes:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Cut one up and fed it into my sister in law's chiminea last easter. Burns a treat and lets you sit out and toast marshmallows with your friends. :biggthump

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Usually just sits out the back until someone bothers to chop it up, then we use use it as firewood. The needled give off awesome heat and flames, should one be careful of chimney fires?

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
If you just threw it away wouldn't it be more environmentaly sound as it would just biodegrade into a landfill site?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
use a chain and hang it upside down.
give a nice coating of some sort of fuel, petrol is good.
get it swinging
throw match at it

You now have an inventive way of burning it

Or you could make a nice wooden seat if you get a flat bit of wood to nail on the end of it

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Jake Rollnick said:
If you just threw it away wouldn't it be more environmentaly sound as it would just biodegrade into a landfill site?

The problem with landfill is that the stuff in the pit doesn't break down properly because there isn't enough oxygen present, so it all ends up creating methane (I think :shock: ) Chemists please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you just want it to biodegrade, cut it or shred it and spread it in the woods. I wouldn't just dump it in the woods cos you might get done for fly tipping !!

Cheers,

Martin

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Many local authorities now chip trees up, mulch the chippings and then use these as ground cover on ornamental beds. This is a very green way to get rid of your tree - support it if possible.

It's not a good idea to tip any chippings away in woodland areas as this can cause localised acidity and / or nutrient enrichment. This can be to the detriment of the woodland plants (as more 'coarse' plants prefer higher nutrient levels and may predominate). Many small nature reserves near habitation suffer this way from dumped grass and hedge clippings etc.

Bob

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
yup.. plymouth dump they have a "organic waste bit" for hedge trimmings grass cutting and christmas trees and everything that can be is made in to compost i think you will find many local outhorities are SLOWLY getting more eco friendly!

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Bob said:
Many local authorities now chip trees up, mulch the chippings and then use these as ground cover on ornamental beds. This is a very green way to get rid of your tree - support it if possible.

It's not a good idea to tip any chippings away in woodland areas as this can cause localised acidity and / or nutrient enrichment. This can be to the detriment of the woodland plants (as more 'coarse' plants prefer higher nutrient levels and may predominate). Many small nature reserves near habitation suffer this way from dumped grass and hedge clippings etc.

Bob

Fair-do. :roll: You learn something every day.

Cheers Bob,

martin

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
No worries - no implied criticism by the way.

I used to look after a couple of 'suburban' nature reserves that suffered from this so maybe I'm a wee bit sensitive about it!!!!

And don't get me started on 'excess canine fertilization' !!!! :aargh4:

Regards

Bob :)

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Bob said:
No worries - no implied criticism by the way.

I used to look after a couple of 'suburban' nature reserves that suffered from this so maybe I'm a wee bit sensitive about it!!!!

And don't get me started on 'excess canine fertilization' !!!! :aargh4:

Regards

Bob :)

No Criticism taken, implied or otherwise :eek:):

I didn't realise it could do such harm, I guess I was thinking of all those people that shred it and then use it as weed suppressant.

As far as Suburban nature reserves go, I've just spent the day shredding and burning Rhododendron and cleaning up Canine fertilizer as well !!
At least we planted a dozen black poplars, which as there are only 34 mature specimens in Sussex is quite an achievement :lol:

Cheers,

Martin

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
We save our tree each year and it becomes our yule log the following year on Christmas eve (along with a fire dog saved from the previous year's fire). It gives a sense of continuity to both the trees and the fires down the years...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE