christmas presents, yes, already...[pic heavy]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Is it too early to even think about christmas?

• Yes

Votes: 18 34.6%
  • No

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • what's christmas?

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
A friend asked for a camping mug so this is what he's getting for christmas (guess what his name is!), hope you like it. It's from birch root burl. The only complaint I have with it is the somewhat awkward shape to hold, but lesson learned.

campingmug1.jpg

campingmug3.jpg

campingmug2.jpg

campingmug4.jpg

Thanks for looking.

DarbyFett

Sep 30, 2008
Texas
Thats beautiful!

My cousin wants a little buckskin pouch to hold some of his moms ashes. So I think I shall make him one.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
It did take a while longer than most to scoop out the rather large bowl, but it was finished in about 6 hours all told. I've so far finshed 5 presents this autumn...so you're right, it's slow going. I'm no professional like some of the ladies and gents on here!

Thanks for the kind comments.

edit: oh by the way, would anyone know of a nice and easy way to enhance the contrast of the carved logo and letter D, such as a good method for crushing and using inner birch bark?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It did take a while longer than most to scoop out the rather large bowl, but it was finished in about 6 hours all told. I've so far finshed 5 presents this autumn...so you're right, it's slow going. I'm no professional like some of the ladies and gents on here!

Thanks for the kind comments.

edit: oh by the way, would anyone know of a nice and easy way to enhance the contrast of the carved logo and letter D, such as a good method for crushing and using inner birch bark?

That really is a beauty;)

For your staining:
You need to find a birch tree with some of the outer bark missing, so that the inner bark has gone very dark brown. collect a bit of this dark brown bark and dry it out,-it has to be very dry- then get some medium grade wet and dry paper, maybe 400 grit or so? and sand the bark on the paper so that you end up with a pile of fine dust. Rub this into the carving and you should get something that looks a bit like this:
newestpicturesofitemsforfestival005.jpg

all the dark shaded patterning is done with powdered, inner birch bark.

hope this helps:)
cheers
R.B.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
you're one talented badger! thanks for the bark info, I'll try it out in time for christmas. I'm half way through making the above's brother, for the friend's girlfriend, I'll post it here when I'm done and perhaps with the bark powder too.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That really is a beauty;)

For your staining:
You need to find a birch tree with some of the outer bark missing, so that the inner bark has gone very dark brown. collect a bit of this dark brown bark and dry it out,-it has to be very dry- then get some medium grade wet and dry paper, maybe 400 grit or so? and sand the bark on the paper so that you end up with a pile of fine dust. Rub this into the carving and you should get something that looks a bit like this:
newestpicturesofitemsforfestival005.jpg

all the dark shaded patterning is done with powdered, inner birch bark.

hope this helps:)
cheers
R.B.

Wow they are really nice RB, I love the bark patterns. I tried doing patterns on spoons years ago but they always were very messy, my eyesight is very dodgy for fine work. Del Stubbs has some good info on "kolrossing" on his website www.pinewoodforge.com I think he recomends powdered coffee rubbed into the cuts. If I remember correctly he oils the spoon, then does the cuts then rubs in the coffee so it sticks in the cuts but not on the oiled surface.

Wille sundqvist does deeper carved lettering on bowls, the system is similar, oil bowl do carving then he mixes pigment with PVA glue to a thick consistencey and rubs that into the lettering, wipe off excess which does not stick to the oiled surface and when its finished it look nice.

Here he is
Saterglantan-53.jpg

Nice kuksa by the way Ian, that is a lucky friend.

We already have folk booking courses for next year, the perfect Christmas present.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE