Christmas presents, of the crafty variety, for family, etc.,

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My family all make stuff. Every one of them do, from the toddlers to the 90+ year olds.

All too often though the boxed sets of whatevers sold for Christmas presents end up as a disappointment. Just not enough detail, resources, decent tools, etc., or stuff inside them.

I thought about maybe a thread for good things; presents for the family that really are 'craft' (not just bushcraft, that's why this is in Other Chatter) ideas.
Whether that's chemistry or electronics, or leatherwork, sewing, growing, or carving....ideas and suggestions for Gifts of Good Things :D

cheers,
Mary

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
We made around 3 litres of sloe gin this year for gifts and our own merry Christmas! :).

Apart from that most things I make aren't good enough for presents and I end up keeping them, but this gin really came out well :).

I think this is a great idea for a thread too, I'll get a photo in a bit :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Here's a photo:

The bottle in the middle is sloe port :):

image_zpsec70daef.jpg
[/IMG]

I forgot to mention my Mam makes things like peanut brittle and honey cake and pavlova and much more..l:cool:.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
we do a hamper for my mum and dad, we make jams, curds, our own soda bread, as well as sweet treats too, wrap everything up in crepe paper and then bang it in a box. its still being eaten 6 weeks after xmas and lasts a lot longer than a box of choccies does lol.

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In previous years I have made kitchen wooden spoons, kitchen knives and bread knives for my Aunt.
She always gets a hip flask of Sloe Gin :)
This year, as we are going up to hers by car, not her schlepping down to us by train, she will be getting - a bottle of Sloe Gin, a flask of Raspberry Vodka and a miniature of Blackberry Vodka plus a bottle of Blackberry wine :)
And she will be having a pot of Rowan Jelly and a pot of Rosehip and Apple Jelly :)
Her other prezzies will be boring shop bought stuff....

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm sitting here finishing off a tooled leather tablet cover for my sister. All my family are getting something handmade from me this year. In the next few weeks I have to make: a handbag, three belts, a leather buckle, an ammunition wallet, a coin purse, and about ten small leather things too.

Apologies for the poor pictures:

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I do quite a lot of knitted and wool-craft things for friends as well as jams, jellies, marmalades and fruit liqueurs. I also give plants grown from cuttings (including roses) and/or my own seed, or splits from herbaceous plants in the spring. I make cakes and biscuits for friends too. Sometimes people get my own watercolours or drawings too. Oh and every now and then somebody might get a tapestry designed and made by me. Sometimes I'll do a rattle made from scavenged wood, bone, antler, horn, feathers, deer toes, hag-stones, shells, etc for a friend.

Then, of course, there was The Man Bag ...
bag 1.jpg

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I've been making some gifts for family and friends. Candle holders & chopping/bread boards, all solid oak from whisky barrels.

Attachments

• 2006_01010001.jpg
    2006_01010001.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 13

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Wow thats a stunning piece of leatherwork there!

This year I'm going to be making spoons and spatulas, plus some of my sea-glass jewellery..just finished a whole batch of necklaces for a craft stall I'm doing tomorrow actually! :)

xylaria

For anyone into young'uns electronics I got LEDs from ebay for £1 a packet of ten, Button batteries [poundland], wire striped from junk and bodge tape, hours of fun. Havent got around to the potato powered caravan lighting yet.

I am a bit stumped for the my not so little girlie, however the new bead shop does vouchers.

Last edited:

xylaria

she made dolls for a school fair last year, they were more corpse bride/voodoo teddy. They were made from recylced teashirts and other clothes. She makes freindship bracelets, but thinks anything macrame is "crusty".

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I do quite a lot of knitted and wool-craft things for friends as well as jams, jellies, marmalades and fruit liqueurs. I also give plants grown from cuttings (including roses) and/or my own seed, or splits from herbaceous plants in the spring. I make cakes and biscuits for friends too. Sometimes people get my own watercolours or drawings too. Oh and every now and then somebody might get a tapestry designed and made by me. Sometimes I'll do a rattle made from scavenged wood, bone, antler, horn, feathers, deer toes, hag-stones, shells, etc for a friend.

Then, of course, there was The Man Bag ...
View attachment 26034

No Ellen that was a JF bag very exclusive very sought after and very much a rugged Man bag, that only john could get away with, maybe a theme for the NC. we all refuse to blend with nature and clash.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Wow thats a stunning piece of leatherwork there!

This year I'm going to be making spoons and spatulas, plus some of my sea-glass jewellery..just finished a whole batch of necklaces for a craft stall I'm doing tomorrow actually! :)

Thanks :) i'm afraid my spoons aren't good enough to give away yet, so I better stick to the leatherwork for now :O

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE