Christmas Cards

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I started writing mine a week ago, and finally got around to the stamps....HWMBLT went to the P.O. on his way back from his walk this morning.....put it this way three dozen second class Christmas stamps were nearly £20, and that's less than half the number I'll need, and I still need over a dozen Large Letter ones too.

I am so tempted next year to just donate £50 to a local charity and simply wish most folks a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year, by email.

In fact, I think I'm going to persuade either HWMBLT or Son1 or 2 to take suitable photos and I'll just send that to folks....and if they want to print it out to hang on the wall, that would suit very well :D

Indeed, see next year, all of you who very kindly and thoughtfully send me cards, just send me a photo and a quick note, and I'll happily print it out :D

I like Christmas cards, I really do, but this is a ridiculous sum if it's multiplied across the country. Between cards and postage I did a quick add up among my very immediate family and the total is somewhere near £200.

Not so much 'bah humbug!', as honest, "Let's be sensible here".

Seasonal Greetings folks :D :D :christmas2:

:grouphug:
Mary

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Reminds me when I finished Uni and sent out a whole load of c.v.'s - I spent a small fortune - I didn't really know what I wanted to do so applied for lots of different things.

I think I've written about 15 cards - that'll do me...

In the village they're doing a scout post which is a nice idea.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
For some years now the only cards I give out are those I can deliver by hand, say within five miles around the house. Further than local it's all email now.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
We stopped mass posting of cards a few years ago, we may perhaps now post five or six but we do extended emails to friends overseas, updated photo's of the grand children etc. Before I retired from nursing ward staff decided to just do one 'ward' card each and stop writing out fifty or sixty individual cards that often would not even be read.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I stopped sending cards a few years ago, I think the last couple of years charities have been water aid and shelter. Personally I find it a much nicer way to spend my money. Emails and phone calls for everyone!

Louis

nunzionuk

I saw the prices of stamps in the postoffice the other day, its crazy! 10 yeas ago it was what? 29p to post first class, its now 62p?! thats 200%+ price change.

I guess i am lucky, as I can still deliver most of mine by hand, but still the postage prices are becoming a rip off.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The local Scouts and Guides used to do a post, and if they are doing it this year I'll use that for the local cards, but family and a few distant friends apart, I'm seriously thinking of not posting cards again next year.
Besides, for the time it takes me to type a short letter, I'm just about as quick as if I write out the card, address the envelope, and trek to the post box.

It might not be a really seasonal photo...but out my back door earlier today looked like this :)

15974412556_06c3d7bff1_z.jpg

15812806458_f8c37e982c_z.jpg

Kind of put me in the notion for a white Christmas :)

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Local cards and phone calls here :) I have an unlimited calls package, and most people seem to enjoy a ten minute chat more than a card - plus its better than whats on TV.

Someone ringing up to say "I miss you and wanted to wish you...." is always nice :)

Walking the cards and gift baskets round the neighbours is great fun - but always feel a little unsteady on the way home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE