Chris Caine Survival Tool Sheath Commission...this made me sweat!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Hi... a customer recently asked me to do a sheath 'in the same style as...' and enclosed a picture of mr. caine from a youtube clip holding up a custom made sheath...he also sent me his a. wright tool and the standard sheath it comes in.

now most of you know how i feel about copying/plagiarism/etc etc so this was a toughie....theres not much scope to do ''in the same style as...'' and also squeeze in much of ones own inspiration with a blade of this shape....i have made several changes (belt loop, dangler, shape...and its slightly smaller than the sheath thats supplied even though it has a bigger welt inside)....and tried to make it look different aesthetically too....and my customer has also informed me that he will contact mr. caine on facebook to let him know...

so...its been a real toughie....and of course the main stress was not only doing mr. caines famous blade justice but also making something nice enough to go on the valuable property of my customer...who's been great at putting up with my umming and ahhing and fussines lol!

so...i hope you like....and i really want brutal criticism on this one please....have a couple of changes to make and i'm now going to cut out Mark II...

regards,

s

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Trying to come up with brutal criticism...
comparing this against the original...
Still trying to come up with brutal criticism!

I don't like...

Still trying...

Sorry, I can't come up with any brutal criticism... :(

It's purdy!

and what a blade!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice work there!

I was loaned a Chris Caine tool on pass around and expected to hate it. It was a very capable tool, well made and deigned.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
That is a work of art :D
I can't think of any criticisms.
I guess you could add 2 bits of leather to the back of the sheath at the top & the bottom to give someone the option of securing it to the side of a pack...
Or just a bit on the lower part of the sheath so it could be fastened around the leg with a strap if people didn't want it hanging loose.
Either loops, or something like a square patch riveted in each corner which would be more secure, and would give even more options for mounting the sheath to things.
Might make it less traditional though.

Take care - Will :theyareon

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
ooo I'm a brutal critic when it comes to leather craft. Although I may not be able to create a better item, I can certainly criticise it and I was certain I could find something to moan about :)

But I cannot find anything on this. It truly is a beautiful piece of work, detailed.. a piece of art. You should be very proud.

Did you do the edges in edge cote or a spirit based dye ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE