Chris Caine companion Knife

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Yes love it, best knife I own. practice with it and you will do the same as me and throw/sell Most of your other knives. Good allrounder

its ok My mate has one (to tight to by one of my Camp Nesmuks ;) ) I did a Kydex sheath for it and re-profiled and reground the edge so it works properly and its good to go

chriscainekydexc.jpg

chriscainekydexd.jpg

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Not a problem just takes a little while to practice or in other words get used to it. Like everything the more you use the easier the tasks become.

Like i mentioned I am down the the companion (kept the C Caine survival knife and my mora's and penknives and nothing else) but the companion is my 99% use tool

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Could it be the Heat treat has left the narrow section between blade and handle too brittle.
I know some parangs leave the narrow section softer to flex a little and stop them from doing this.

i was tempted by one myself but already have these.
1F3BCC6A-5185-4522-BCAB-F6D1EE5C628B-221-0000000EF1400403_zpsdc1377fd.jpg

Last edited:

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
They had issues with the HT, early on but seem to have sorted them out. there are two makers, A Wright, and S Staniforth. The latter sell under the name Skorpian to the American market. From what i know they are good. Ive got one on the way.
While doing some reading about this knife (because I don't know anything about it) I stumbled across this:
Hopefully it's a problem that's been resolved.
Caine Survival Tool - wood splitting generates gross blade failure - YouTube

Caine Survival Tool (replacement) - wood splitting generates gross blade failure again - YouTube

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Had seen those vids before and that was something in the back of my mind but I understand it was the survival parang that suffered most, that's why I thought I would ask the good people of BCUK first. I've got a condor Lochnessmuk and it's similar but I never felt like using it, it's a fantastic made knife and lovely leather sheath but it just feels a bit uninspiring?!

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I reckon if you can afford it and it wont cause Mrs weekender to question your judgement, try it out. I have had a few knives now and its not until you get them in your hands that you realise whether or not it suits you and your needs. boys got to have there toys! :) I have always fancied a lofty wiseman zombie killer and since realised that it wouldn't suit my needs but it doesn't stop me wanting one.

If I ever won the lottery I would probably put the world off its axis with the amount of kit I would accumulate nearby.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
If I ever won the lottery I would probably put the world off its axis with the amount of kit I would accumulate nearby.

Ha ha ha same here, I must admit I have a lofty wiseman and I love it, I fancy the CC companion as it seems it might be easier to carry and put in a pack and be a good all rounder?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Not for me and I need knives with big handles. Probably why I have problems with the british traditional 4 inch blade. All the handles are just too uncomfortable. the Companion suits me in many ways handle length, jack of all trades useage, size.

Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Thanks MikeLA and everyone for answering my questions I think I might have to make a purchase when funds allow....😄

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
its ok My mate has one (to tight to by one of my Camp Nesmuks ;) ) I did a Kydex sheath for it and re-profiled and reground the edge so it works properly and its good to go

chriscainekydexc.jpg

chriscainekydexd.jpg

Brilliant. :D So new sheath, edge and shape and it's fine. :D After all that he should have just gone for one of your's!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE