Chopwell Wood in its winter coat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've been out most days over the last few weeks, usually with the Mrs. but occasionally just me.
I almost always take the camera, so I thought I'd just share some of the sights I've enjoyed recently. They all seem a bit out of focus to me, not sure whats off but here you go anyway;

This was a few weeks back, well before Christmas I think, just some stacked timber waiting to go.
PC210002copyresilogs.jpg

This is two old rail trucks, which are supposed to represent our local heritage. I would say that the Bronze age burial mound, at the top of the hill, is far more representative but hey ho. They do make excellent drinking dens for local teenagers mind you:rolleyes:
P1010070copyresize9.jpg

the same trucks at a distance
P1010074copyresize8.jpg

And then today, on my way in, I met this;
P1060069copyresize6.jpg

'It just went' apparently:confused: all seemed a bit odd but once you're off, you stay off till you get a good pull out!
stuck1resize.jpg

P1060067copyresize7.jpg

It was still there, when I came out too. I hung around trying to offer assistance and generally recording the incident, as there have been moves to improve the verges, over the last couple of years but the FC and the local Council just keep dodging the issue.
One of the 'cons' is that some believe filling the ditches with rubble would effectively widen the road, leading to people speeding:pokenest:

Anyway, they eventually managed to pull it out, took a good 2-3 hours.

In the meantime, I wandered off to see what I could see. There were surprisingly few animal tracks, compared to the last few weeks, just the odd fox, pheasant and deer, here and there.

some nice views though;
P1060075copyresize5.jpg

The training area looking quiet;
P1060088copyresize4.jpg

And the Classroom unused!;
P1060099copyresize3.jpg

Off to work again shortly, oh the joys of motoring:drive:

atb

R.B.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great pics Steve

I see what you mean about the softness of the shots, no idea other than a dirty lens maybe :dunno:

Some clever photo bods on here though so someone will know.

You haven't pranged the camera have you mate, swmbo dropped mine on a rock in the Alps this summer and it has similar results occasionally.

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Nice pics, Steve.
I ain't been to CW in the snow, yet.
Been a few times over the past few months picking litter with the missus (who said romance is dead ...) and indeed sussed the locals' 'beer gardens'.
Regarding the camera, has it been used outside lately in very cold conditions then brought into a hot house, whilst the camera was still cold?

Cheers.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Old saying among 4-wheelers in America:

4-wheel drive -- it gets you twice as far down a muddy road as 2-wheel drive, before you get stuck.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
nice. where exactly is this bronze age burial mound? it sounds interesting and i haven't been out in a few days, so...

It's not actually on the Forest footprint. It's on land adjacent to Rowells farm.
Unfortunately, its not really accessible to the public, probably why it never gets mentioned:rolleyes:
You can see it from the wood easily enough, if you take the north western side of the boundary path.
NewMap-1.jpg

Best I can do for a map:eek:
It was wrongly recorded as 'Saxon' in the local history booklet but It was investigated in 1975 and found to be much older.

cheers

R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE