Chopping Kindling?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've stuck this here, if it's in the wrong place, so be it! (Please feel free to move/delete/etc)

I recently, finally managed to salvage a load of old photo's, videos and assorted other stuff from the hard drive of my old computer.

One of the video's was this clip of my older brother chopping kindling for a stove he'd made:
[video=youtube;Gzyh49cVo68]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzyh49cVo68[/video]

I'd posted it up on youtube and then somehow deleted it in error and then couldn't get at it again on the old hard drive.

Anyway, I thought I'd put it back up just for the sake of it really.

It's not a "how to" and no alcohol was involved, nor was my brother aware of me filming him, so his "style" is natural and relaxed, not staged
smile.gif

It's not how I would do it and yet,........ I've probably collected more scars than him from edged tool use over the years, so who knows?
rolleyes.gif

The axe is a more or less blunt (by my standards) Fiskars, mass produced, injection moulded handle, monstrosity. The wood is short lengths of, surprisingly straight grained (hence the very easy splitting), softwood packing case plank and the stoves were converted gas bottles ( pre "you can't do that, it's illegal" days of course, so, sadly; no he doesn't still make stoves from bottles and don't try it at home!
whistle.gif
)

Play safe out there!

Steve

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If it works, have at it! I've seen old women chopping sticks on the stone step. The blade never touched the stone.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's exactly how we used to chop sticks …..and you have no idea how hard it was (is :eek:) for me to learn to be all safety conscious now. The hatchet wasn't that sharp either. In hindsight, I reckon it was like a froe tbh, and because we hit the wood endgrain on, it split it very effectively. Never cut myself once doing it that way either.

Nice stoves :D :approve:

M

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
Did it just like that for 30 years on a paving slab when I had a real fire but the axe wasn't particularly sharp. I don't think I'd do it now it's got a 'bushcraft' edge on it.

I didn't realise it was now frowned upon to cut up gas bottles for stoves.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Nowt wrong with that imo, the speed comes from years of doing it
Probably the same way anyone who's had a fire for their only heat source for long enough does it

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
He comes a bit close to catching the step and his finger on one or more occasions, for my liking, sharp or not, the thought of the impact injuries is a bit much for me.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
No different to a chef preparing vegetables after years of practice... if I tried that at home with a properly sharp chef's knife, I'd have no fingers left... yet I've seen chefs slice a carrot into nice even sections in seconds.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No different to a chef preparing vegetables after years of practice... if I tried that at home with a properly sharp chef's knife, I'd have no fingers left... yet I've seen chefs slice a carrot into nice even sections in seconds.

I was thinking much the same thing.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I didn't realise how tensed up I was watching that till it finished! I'd definitely have lost a few fingers!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Seems ok to me, I chop wood similarly but perhaps a bit slower - it takes me ages to do anything, I don't like to rush.

I was thinking the same thing about the vegetables as well, just practice, go slow be careful and after more practice it gets easier - hard bit it to never become complacent with things. One reason I don't like power tools, if you become complacent with a power saw you'll lose fingers or a hand quite easily, it's pretty difficult to saw completely through a finger or hand with a hand tool.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
You'll notice that the longer bits have a heavier swing and this is much slower than the wee taps that split the smaller bits.

It looks like s a nice straight grained wood and they are a joy to chop like that. Angle the axe slightly away from the holding hand and it deflects the axe away. Get it wrong though (as I have many times!)..... I used to chop kindling for a nearby shop and building up a stock of 100 bags meant you had to speed up.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
He's quick and accurate - what's wrong with that?

I'm pretty sure it isn't illegal to convert gas cylinders to stoves. The only grey area (and it was always grey) is that in theory the cylinders belong to the supplier so you are cutting up someone else's property.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Nice chopping technique. Chopping on stone reminds me of the barefoot axe girl

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fWo0P0MdJM[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Haven't seen the video yet but there's no harm in teaching safe techniques.
Being an ex forester I know how serious an injury can be in the back of beyond. Ultimately it's up to the person but if other folk have to endanger themselves to retrieve an injured person then that's not good and MR teams and emergency personel getting there with the blues and twos going and traversing rough terrain does so. Also having someone bleed out on you in the sticks can be a traumatic experience believe me.
But ultimately it's up to the person I suppose.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE