Choosing a wood splitter...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I know we are old school here, but we use 16 cubic metres of cut, split and seasoned wood each year. I love my axes and still split a couple of cords by hand for stress relief. The rest I use a powered splitter for.

If you are ever in the market for one, it's a confusing market. I hope our thoughts might help you find the right unit for you.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice machine Hugh. It's more than i'll ever need for keeping the woodburner in the new workshop fed though. I'm still able to enjoy manual splitting, and i don't have anywhere near as much work to do as you guys do. I did treat myself to a chainsaw, as i was getting bored of felling and bucking with a bowsaw.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice machine Hugh. It's more than i'll ever need for keeping the woodburner in the new workshop fed though. I'm still able to enjoy manual splitting, and i don't have anywhere near as much work to do as you guys do. I did treat myself to a chainsaw, as i was getting bored of felling and bucking with a bowsaw.
Yeah it's a proper investment. Worth it for us because we have access to a lot of wood & it keeps the heating bill to near zero. But for smaller scale use there are bett options. In the last year I processed 60 cubic metres (we don't burn that in a year) so it was vital. With coal and smokeless prices now treble what they were, we are heating (and Winter cooking) almost exclusively with wood plus helping out some locals so we're going through over 20 cubic metres a year.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
nice vid Hugh. We've got a 4t small electric one that we use now and then, mostly I split by hand, although I have to say we borrowed a neighbours trailer based petrol splitter and that was a beast, we put a lot through that.
Having a powered splitter is definitely the way to go if the fires on a lot!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
nice vid Hugh. We've got a 4t small electric one that we use now and then, mostly I split by hand, although I have to say we borrowed a neighbours trailer based petrol splitter and that was a beast, we put a lot through that.
Having a powered splitter is definitely the way to go if the fires on a lot!
Honestly Tony it's a fantastic thing with fuel prices as they are (always assuming a good supply of wood!)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, electro-hydraulic is the way :) My needs aren't quite as industrial as yours Hugh but I have got 'splitter envy' now!

I bought a horizontal double-action unit that will split going in either direction; if I cut the logs just the right length it can be very efficient on time. It's 7 ton the one way and I think 5 the other. Sadly, I can't split for long using the axe without irritating my sciatica :(

The real plus of the electro-hydraulic unit? - the missus enjoys using it too :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are fantastic things. The only strength involved is in in maneuvering the logs onto the splitter!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE