chip in the blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have just finished my first knife (ill post pics when the sheath dries) and when i took off the tape on the blade i noticed there is a very small chip in the blade its not huge but when you look for it you can see it, most likely caused by my over zealous use of the rasp lol. Will a waterstone take it out or will i have to take it to a grinder?

Cheers
Phil

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i,d be more concerned as to why it chipped if i'd not knowingly dinged it mate,....

did it take the edge ok to start with?...

how did the heat treat go?....and temper?.....

i had a chip when i sharpened one once,...and i gave it another temper before i carried on,....

i must add i,m no expert but i followed advice myself on a similar prob,..

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
We all do this when making knives you will just need to sharpen it out.
Pics will help on the advice front though.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The way I look at it is if you spend a lot of time taking out the chip you'll probably waste a lot of metal that could have done some useful work, and the edge will probably be damaged again before long anyway, so why not just live with it? A large chip will tend to snag things, but a small one will just tend to act like a serration on a serrated blade, especially if you can get a sharpening stone into it to make it sharp. I have a couple of oval stones (Victorinox, they come in a plastic pen-shaped holder) and the fairly narrow edges are ideal for that kind of thing.

Quite a few of my cutting tools either have or have had chips in their edges, especially if the wife's been using them in the garden! It's no big deal. I only bother taking out the larger chips where the cutting ability of the blade will suffer badly. That usually means it's a big ding (think hitting the edge on a bit of steel reinforcing bar or a lump of concrete) and that means it will need careful grinding unless you have the time and enough patience to do it by hand.

Thanks for the advice guys, ged i'm going to take that advice and leave it as is, its small enough that the normal sharpening will take it out eventually so i'm not going to loose any sleep over it. brancho took a couple of pics but you cant really see the chip (must say something about how small it is lol doh) but theres the best two i got here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69832&p=846604#post846604

Thanks a million.

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE