Chilling Waterfall Hot Springs Good Food and Buddhism

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
A quick way to develop local knowledge is to assist a local guide. They don’t receive a lot so I just volunteer my labour, get to have a great time and learn so much. The guide I am with is a older man and a real character nick named “Happy”. And you get to meet lots of local people which never hurts and in a hospitable place like Malaysia adds to the experience.

We went to the Chiling waterfalls (that’s the name honest) which is in the foothills of the main dividing range.

I was keen to recce it to see if it was worth an overnighter and if I could bring the dog or the family.

The walk starts just after a bridge over a small gorge.

This pic is not of a waterfall but a view of the river from 15-20metres above. It is all white water. The gradient increases after a 90 deg bend and a constriction.
DSCN4101.jpg

The middle reaches used to be the premier white water venue in this country before it was dammed so I was concerned to check out the crossings. The river has also killed campers in flash floods and 5 died in the waterfalls plunge pool.

The walk to the waterfall took about 90 minutes and started in “fern” land

DSCN4104fern.jpg

The stream we went up was far less boisterous than the river in the gorge a short distance away

DSCN4107stream.jpg

A bit of a scramble in places

DSCN4112scramble.jpg

But usually a nice walk by the river

DSCN4109.jpg

Strange natural designs. Note the double 90 degree bends in the liana on the right of the corkscrew one
DSCN4114art.jpg

Lots of fish in the quiet sections. No fishing allowed (this is a restocked river)

DSCN4119fish.jpg

Some crossings were a bit trickier than other but all were quite manageable

DSCN4122trickier.jpg

DSCN4103.jpg

It helps if there is a “bridge”

DSCN4132bridge.jpg

Tip: walk in your socks if bridges or rocks are slippery or if you are concerned about falling (like me)

DSCN4150sox.jpg

We got there at last after 6 river crossings

The falls are hard to photograph as they are in two sections, the upper one facing south and the lower west.

The lower pool is to the left of the two people and is where the fatalities have occurred. Happy says he tossed a ball into the waterfall at this point and it took nearly 9 minutes to reappear. I think the reason is heavily aerated ‘holes’ in the pool. Just to the right of the pool is a large cave entrance

DSCN4144.jpg

The upper falls have to be photographed from a different angle. The red shirt belongs to an abseiler. He lost control of the descent a moment after this picture but managed to regain some control after sliding on his rear end for a few metres.

What do you think of the rock above him?. Many people say it looks like a head with deep eyes, big nose and a thin mouth just where the abseiler is.

DSCN4142abs.jpg

Our guide was annoyed by the abseiling groups poor safety and the way they urged less confident members to have a go so we moved down stream to a crossing point to have a cup of tea.

Happy is high tech so I did not have to scrounge around for wood and for the first time in 4 years I had a gas stove brewed cup

DSCN4145stove.jpg

The group splashed and played while lunch was being set up.
DSCN4154.jpg

DSCN4147.jpg

We set off about 3pm before the rain arrived. Happy had forecast the hill weather very well and we were out safe and dry-(ish) before the rains came.

We went to a nearby hot springs to soak. It was very hot – Japanese bath house hot - but unfortunately no bath house ladies to scrub our backs and get in the tub with us.

We then went in true Malaysian style to eat (the national hobby) which we did and I was as impressed with his choice of restaurant as his guiding – a view of mist covered hills and palms and sugar cane around our country café. I was too stuffed to get up and take a better photo
DSCN4173.jpg

The food - clay pot prawns and curried fish head were better than most city restaurants. This place does only a few dishes and all are good. They ran out of pigs trotters by the time we got there.

DSCN4171.jpg

DSCN4170.jpg

Now you might think that Happy had a good thing going – the outdoor life, hot springs, cold beer and good makan (food) but life as a guide is tough. What do you do when your client has a leech in a very private place? This happened to an American girl. And what is the guide to do if she can’t bear to touch the leech but wants it removed anyway? So you see life is difficult!

Next stop was a Siamese Buddhist monastery set in a pretty location with forested hills on one side a agricultural land on the other.
DSCN4181.jpg

DSCN4178.jpg

DSCN4179.jpg

DSCN4183.jpg

They had the different astrological animals for the Sinic zodiac but it was evident that sculptors of very different ability and taste did them

DSCN4193.jpg

DSCN4192.jpg

DSCN4188.jpg

Although I thought I had been duly respectful, it seemed that something or someone had it in for me. Bad karma or I should have made a donation to the monastery

As I came down the slippery steps from the toilet, I slipped and crashed down on my back on the top step hitting my back. I thought I was a goner as I bounced down the steps. I lay on the ground for several minutes in the rain convinced something must have broken under fat boy’s weight.

Happy had asked me earlier at the waterfall, whether people who fell actually yelled/screamed as they went down. I’d replied I didn’t think so but wouldn’t like to find out by watching some one fall.

Well the answer is Yes they do yell but only after they land

This temporary disability has made me more considerate of the situation of the elderly and infirm as I totter around the empty house unable to do simple things like pick things up that drop. I will recover, they have no such prospect.

So my bushcrafting this week is in an armchair

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
S.o.r.r.y to hear about your misshap.

Great pic's, looks an absolutely fantastic place.

Thanks for the virtual tour.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I was reading your post and marvelling at the photos, all of which are great but the reminder I got about the Curried Fish Head - Wham here comes a memory - Muthus restaurant, Little India, Singapore, boy do those guys know how to cook fish!

Thanks for sharing

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE