children and adults

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
i`m a youth worker with the disability support team and for one of the projects we are going in to the local park to do bushcrafty things, there is a field and a path as one kid is a wheelchair user, i`ve got some ideas from previous threads but was hoping you might be able to come up with some ideas to get me some browny points :D i`m going to possible put some tents up so they can have picnic in them and build a couple of shelters the day before as we wo`nt have much time, there`ll be no knives or axes allowed. any ideas will be greatly welcomed.
many thanks
Sean.
ps age range from 13 to 22

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Cordage is reasonably safe and gets results fairly quickly.

If your customers are of mixed ability/dexterity you might want a range from making your own string from nettles to plaiting a friendship bracelet from mason's line (it comes in great colours). The latter is not very bushcrafty but given there are no sharps you are a bit limited. The good thing is that everyone gets to take something away. Seat belt cutter type knives might be ok for cutting string under supervision?

Knots?

Lashing to make a frame for a tent - two A-frames with a cross piece and peg a tarp over it - a good collaborative exercise.

Weaving split hazel or withies to make a tray or frisbee. There's a great one that uses 5 sticks that we used to make. If it hits anything it explodes into pieces. Very simple but it demonstrates how the weaving can hold things together.

If you are allowed fire and you are planning a picnic then food prep (mixing bannock and putting it on sticks, toasting it), toasting marshmallows, sausages on sticks etc.

Depending on the time of year some wild food tasting - dandelion leaves, steamed nettle shoots, ramsons, alehoof tea, berries, nuts, whatever you can forage before hand.

Sounds like fun - wish I could be there.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
"bushcrafty things" without knives or axes? :( Perfect opportunity to convey the correct use and environment for having one I would have thought.

What about how to build a fire and have them cook something simple?

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fiona and I made trellis type panels with the disabled children we worked with last summer.

Fiona used bamboo canes and elastic bands to create the same sort of trellis that is available for climbing plants, but as long as is needed. Drag the panel around in a circle, cover the *roof* with a cloth and you have a round house :cool:

I made mine from three branches lashed together into a triangle then lashed in three others across the sides. This gave a fairly robust star centred triangle that the kids wove foliage into. Three of these panels resting upright against each other makes a kid sized tepee about 5 foot high.

Both simple ideas but accessible to all levels of ability.

Cheers,
Toddy

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Whatever activities you do just getting the time to sit in a circle round a campfire can be magic. Sometimes it's easy to get obsessed with the idea that you must "do" something.

D

Deleted member 4605

Set some boundaries, then get the 'kids' to make a map of the area on a patch of ground using only what they can find. It's amazing how detailed the maps can get! If you've got enough 'kids', split them into two groups and give them two different areas. Then hide something in each area (with an X on the map), get them to swap maps and go hunting!

Weaving has already been mentioned. You can make some really good natural art like this.

Scavenger hunts for natural/unnatural things can be good as well. You know the sort of things: A feather, and stick shaped like a Y, a crisp packet etc. Combine that with a quick discussion on why the unnatural things are there, and why they shouldn't be etc.

Bushcraft isn't just knives, axes and fires!

D

Deleted member 4605

anthonyyy said:
Whatever activities you do just getting the time to sit in a circle round a campfire can be magic.

anthonyy has an excellent point. Take the time after each activity and at the end of the day to dicuss their experiences. You'll be surprised how different the experience can be for different people.

Thought of another one - where appropriate, get them to walk around with bare feet. This can be combined with a stalking game.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
You say no fires, does that include a trangia?
Simply making a brew, or cooking noodles in a trangia goes down well with the groups I take out.
Simple tracking games, using pictures, cutouts or actual tracks in the mud gets them thinking and asking questions(too many for me sometimes! :eek: )
I make chopsticks or simple forks for eating soft foods with, Just scrape the bark from a twig then split the end, stick in a small wedge, you have a simple two tined fork great for the noodles. This could even be done with a butter knife, so could keep any H&S people happy!
One of the activities that surprised me how popular it would be with less mobile people is orienteering, wheelchair users give directions to people pushing, it really builds confidence and teamwork, both take as important a role as the other especially if the pusher isn't a confident mapreader.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I do some relief support work for Mencap, working with adults with learning disability, and the range of people I work with is about to expand to some very 'active' types. I am contemplating Bushy type activities so I am finding this thread very useful - keep the ideas coming!
John

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Done some of this before. Cordage is good, as has been suggested. How about just putting up a basha, or a parachute canopy, if you have one. Branches and grass to build a simple shelter. Get them to listen by making a sound map of the area, good for listening skills.
Sometimes its the simplest things that we take for granted that gets kids excited. Kids like me! :lmao:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Tracking goes down well. Make some 'footprints' and leave a trail for the kids to find. Get them to make plaster of paris moulds then ask them to identify the animal.
Incorporate it with clues so it involves a bit of simple orienteering.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE