Winter soup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
So I visit a friend of mine who has 2 plots in an allotment. I helped him build his shed and as payment I got to take what I liked from his plot provided I didn't take more than 1/4 of each crop...fair trade.

My haul was...

6 parsnips.
6 carrots.
2 fennel bulbs.
3 onions.
1 swede.
1 turnip.
1 butternut squash.
1 sweet potato.

Not bad considering it's all fresh and cost me an hour of work.

I decided rather than roast it all with a pheasant or chicken or rabbit etc, why not make a soup. So...everything got sliced and diced into cubes no larger than 0.5cm cubed. Thrown into a pan with a knob of butter and fried briefly to add flavour...then covered with water and let it simmer on a low heat for 3 hours.

Came back...everything had turned to a mush pretty much...so I pulled out the hand blender and finished it off. Gave it a taste and it was great. Not had anything like it but will definitely be doing it again. The best part is that it made enough for my baby daughter to have 10 portions for dinner and me to have 3 bowl fulls (measured for work) and still freeze some.

I highly recommend it.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
I do similar soups quite often, adult audiences only, so chili, garlic and onions go in too.
Coconut cream gives nice taste to it and few handfuls of lentils add som substance to it.

Cooking time about half, the hard ones go in first and the softer veggies later and a lot bigger pieces. When all done, go trough with a bamix.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to cook a chicken and veg in a pressure cooker. That gave a good 3 or 4 meal portions then if there was anything left I'd take it out, pick the meat off the bones and return them to the clean pressure cooker. I add water carrot, celery and herbs, whatever you want. That is then pressure cooked for stock as a nice flavour base for soups. Can do similar with fish frames.

To summarize, I get 3/4 meals with chicken, potato and veg. Then the rest is a nice soup, the bones and skin makes stock for soups later on.
Back in the day when I lived on my own I used to get 7 large meals from a small roast chicken. Not small meals neither. Thrifty cooking was a real interest but I found it took time to do. I think the whole soup post by the OP is part of the same thing, getting a good feed out of relatively cheap and basic foodstuffs.

Anyone heard of Scouse? A good scouse is a continuous affair. You keep a large pot on the go putting in whatever you have that day. The remnants of the last meal are used to start the next. Long cooking times made for good flavour.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You must have had a big pot.

Me, I would have made some soup and saved the rest for a roast later. Roots store well, after all

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden

Made me laugh...I saw this:
blaa-m-lue2.JPG

...ok...had to google that one, so I can now keep calm and carry on :)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
You must have had a big pot.

Me, I would have made some soup and saved the rest for a roast later. Roots store well, after all
It holds around 18litres or so. When the veg was all diced up it took 2 litres of water to cover the vegetables. Picked the pot up on ebay for a fiver from a chap who was somewhat local to me and retiring from catering.

Couldn't complain.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Blizzard thing happening out side right now. Soup is a plan.
You should try a much large dice next time or a shorter time.
I poke the veggies with a stick, tender = done.

Scouse? Yeah but I used to know it in Spanish: Caldo Largo(?)
Bouilliabaise is an approximation of what got made
over the weeks from Dunnocatch (dunno what we will get).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE