chicken of the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thecalbanner

May 24, 2010
hereford
stomping around the other day i found this bright yellow fungus growing on w yew tree an i write it off as chicken of the woods.
are there any similar species that are dangerous.
i always feel this paranoia with mushrooms.lol

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Chicken in the woods is pretty unmistakable, I don't know of any other big yellow bracket. Having said that I have never seen it on yew, most common on beech and oak. This photo from the web is apparantly on yew though.

Chickwoods.jpg

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Totally agree with Galemys, wouldn't eat anything growing on a yew although it was most likely chicken of the woods.
The river cottage forum may have good recipies etc... just a thought.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've often found CotW growing on Yew around here along with many other trees such as willow, oak, beech, wild cherry and sycamore. The general advice I've seen is to not eat it if it's growing on yew. If you find it growing on other trees it can cause upsets in a few people so if you've not tried it before just try a small piece once you've correctly IDed it.

A few useful pictures I've taken over the years, these ones showing quite young specimens:

CotW08a.jpg

CotW08b.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE