Chicken of the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
After 14 days without food your body is deficient of vitamins B & C, your blood sugar and fat levels are dangerously low, your nerve and muscle function deteriorates, and your heartbeat becomes erratic. At this stage your increased lack of co-ordination would be a very serious threat to your safety, and will also find it very difficult to drink.

yes after 14 days you will have used up most of your bodies reserves of fat and be suffering from vitamin deficiencies, you will start to suffer serious effects to your health

however when this is looked at in relation to survival times for exposure which can be measured in hours in cold climates, and without water 3-7 days or with out salt which in hot climates can lead to heat stroke and death between 1-3 days
(provided you had enough water to live that long)

compared to these things food is not that important!!!! lack of shelter, water, and salt will kill you if you do not attend to them first

These symptoms could be avoided with some simple carbohydrates.

what makes you think that i disagree with you that carbohydrates are the most important sorts of survival food?? where have i intimated this??

my statement is simply that i would eat any fungi i see that i can identify as edible, not just dismiss it because it does not contain carbohydrates

I also stated that food is very low on a list of priorities and that if you are in a situation where you will have a lack of food you will survive longer by fasting for the first three days and letting your body switch over to starvation mode where it will use food in a more efficient manner

How will you make your water safe to drink, maybe on my big fire?

when i said that i would consider things such water shelter and salt

I simple stated that there was no need for a huge fire, a small fire will purify water just as well and use less calories to maintain

How many calories will be burnt making a shelter? probably more than making a fire

when did i say i was against fires??? (though i am against huge fires with no more practical value than a small fire)

Whats the salt for?? seasoning your bland mushrooms??

may i suggest that you explore the answer to this yourself, you may find you learn an interesting fact

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Stuart said:
The easiest way to obtain salt in the wild is from animal blood

there is no danger of you receiving to much salt if obtained in this way
Beat me to it!

Back in the days before Tesco and Safeways people managed to get everything they wanted from the wild ... it's just a matter of knowing where to look!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
greyowl22 said:
So now your body is in starvation mode how exactly are you going to go chasing animals?

Here in the western world were very few people go to bed hungry and fewer still know the meaning of starvation it easy to overlook the fact that there are still places in the world where if you don't go out and contend with the elements and other animals for food, you won't get any.

Starvation mode isn't crippling, it's the way the body knows best to prolong our ability to go out and seek food so that we can go about our business of living.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Fee .. Fi ... Fo ... Fhum ....

Oh, hang on, it's giants that say that, not trolls!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There seems to be quite a bit of traffic on here from Plumpton, I'm surprised you guys havn't run into Woodcraft school that teach there. I expect that they could really point you in the right direction and give you much more indepth answers than we can. It may be worth your while looking them up. :wink:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I'll be a cornerman, his only gathering mushrooms,for Gods sake!!.
Many more people would be interested in the joys of foraging in the woodlands than an theroretical debate on calorific values in a senario that whilst possible,is unlikely.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
greyowl22 said:
I am on the Bushcraft Leadership Course at Plumpton College. Myself and other students here are only speaking our minds and questioning some information posted on this site.

Hmmmm TROLL!

Sorry did I miss something, am I doing something wrong?

That's great ... nothing at all worng with that.

Anyway, I feel that this thread has digressed wildly from the original post I made about Chicken in the Woods ...

If you come across one and wat to try it out, find a young, fresh specimen adn if it's your first time trying one, eat only a little.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
From a google search:-

To post an ostensibly sincere article on an Internet newsgroup for the real purpose of eliciting a reaction from readers. A well-crafted troll may not be detected at all the first time around, in which case the poster usually follows it up with an more outrageous and less plausible variation.

A troublemaker who deliberately posts provocative, hostile or annoying messages in a newsgroup or mailing list with the specific intent of starting a flamewar. The practice is known as trolling.

Sorry if I was mistaken Greyowl and friends but you did seem to be playing devils advocate!

I'm making a mushroom pie tonight ;-)

Jason

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hey folks, DON"T EAT THE MUSHROOMS. Because that leaves more for me. :-D

morels1.jpg

morels2.jpg

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Grayowl22
Sorry but everything I said was genuine

If this is true and you really don’t understand:

1. The importance of salt for survival
2. That making unnecessarily large fires is a waste of energy
3. That you should take advantage of any and every food you can identify as edible
4. The reality of starvation mode
5. That you should always choose trapping over active hunting

then I suggest you ask these questions to your lecturer before stating your opinion as fact in a deliberately argumentative manner

So if i ever get stranded at sea is it ok to drink salt water?!

I feel that you already know the answer to this and are still deliberately attempting to bait, but the answer is simple NO

but I did think this was an OPEN forum

it is an open forum but it will not tolerate miss use to get a rise out of someone

enjoy your course

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Please confine your posts to constructive comments. Please refrain from having a go at people personaly. Flaming or having a go at 'anyone' by 'anyone' will result in this thread getting locked.

Thankyou for your time.

Ed
(Forum Moderator)

Powderburn

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2004
Michigan, USA
Morels and morel hunting are two of the finer things in life. This is the time when they start popping up here in Michigan, but I probably won't get to do any shrooming this year. :cry: The horror.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
It might be worth reflecting on a couple of things when posting. The forum here is a bunch of people getting together who all share an enthusiasm for bushcraft. Some have more expertise than others but claiming expertise and authority can get annoying, especially if no supporting evidence for opinions is offered.

It might be good to think of our posts as part of a conversation by the camp-fire. The point of the conversation is more than just about correcting others... exploring different opinions is good, providing facts to help that exploration is also good especially if opinions are offered which might be harmful if acted on.

I'm always most impressed by people who can tell me, "this is what works for me, and this is how it might be different for you" of course there's a place for facts from books, no point in depriving ourselves of that store of human knowledge, but I suspect that that some of the "facts" that people express, and that are taught in various schools and courses, are really just opinions which might have little substance.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Andrew.

I can't agree more. The beauty of a forum such as this is that it allows people with a variety of backgrounds a chance to meet and share their views regardless of their location or experience level.

I teach Ninjutsu. It took me along time to realise that a technique that works for me being short and fat will not always work for someone else. However both approaches are not incorrect. It is the result that counts within limits.

I am always worried by people that are too certain. Sadly there is never enough time to know it all. Long may we all continue to learn from each other.

That's my 2p worth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE